• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Really confused about testing when asymptomatic, is a WB necessary for me?

I am not symptomatic (or so mildly that it's not been obvious) but I have had two IgG HSV-2 scores in the low-positive "this-could-be-a-false-positive" range, rising from 1.38 to 3.2 with 7 weeks between them. It's now four weeks since the last test and I'm just going crazy, obsessing about my "almost diagnosis," not able to figure out how to raise an extra $250 for the western blot test and wondering why I shouldn't just get another IgG test at this point (which my insurance would help with).

Is there any compelling reason to scrimp and save for the WB in my case? I know that a big concern is that my numbers will just keep moving around in that low-positive limbo-land, but isn't it more likely that we'll see them solidify into an undeniable positive score? I just feel like so frustrated by this waiting and not having a good doctor to guide me isn't helping things (my gynecologist isn't really knowledgeable, she wanted to run IgM testing if I insist upon retesting).

Any insights would be helpful. I do already spend a lot of time researching at the Westover clinic forum. I am behaving as if I am positive, but I feel like certainty is overdue. I want to move on, talk to my doctor about suppression so I have some power to protect partners present and future. Just. So. Tired. Of. Waiting.

I should point out, I feel really certain I am positive but of course I want to be sure since my scores have been under 3.5. I am trying to figure out if there is any real reason that another IgG blood test wouldn't be way to get the definitive answer for me.

I used the word asymptomatic because I am not having obvious outbreaks that could be swabbed for a more definitive result. I've had UTIs and I've had apparent yeast infections, lots of itching, all of it prior to the testing, and none of it struck me at the time as potentially herpes symptoms--in hindsight I see it could have been.

I tested because someone in my current partner's history thought they were positive, so my current partner and I both tested as a precaution. He was negative, but I was this low positive--we think the other person's status really has nothing to do with mine, it was just the motivating factor for getting tested. I'd never been tested before and the nurse at the first place I tested suggested I could have even had it for decades. I think it's newer than that, but there is not any way of knowing for certain.

First blood test was end of August, second was mid-October.

Oh, and I thought I would post this link to a nice, neat, concise infographic on the testing basics. It does say in the case of low positives that testing can be repeated with another method. I guess I am just not certain of *why* it should be another method (if my scores weren't rising, I would understand the need to use another test, for instance): http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/herpes-testing-work/

Ok, but how long since you think you've been exposed? If his are negative and yours are so low w not much for symptoms, you definitely haven't had it for decades for sure. It makes me question if it's just a messed up test. We had abguy on here just go through the same thing. Search for tooold as the screen name. He eventually was private messaging me and he was paranoid about all these symptoms he had and questionable test results. He did the western blot and it was negative. He actually had been w someone prior, who had HSV 2. So this very well could be a screwed test. Not sure how long you two have been together, but you should wait 4 mo ths total, since you think you were exposed by him.

Yeah, the issue of potential exposure is confusing, absolutely nothing is certain. I've had multiple intimate partners this year and I just can't know for sure. I've spent a lot of time talking to them and analyzing it, all but one of them have somewhat recent negative testing--but of course we are all moving targets to some degree--and the one who can't/won't give me testing results was about a year ago. He'd be my absolute biggest suspect based on trustworthiness and behavior (meaning, he seems sketchy and acted disrespectful when I approached him about this issue). Do you think it's possible that my low scores now could be due to an exposure almost a full year back? The others are all following up with retesting on their own, based on timing and exposure to me (so far I'm the only one with solid positive--albeit low--scores).

Oh, that's a really good point, 2Legit, I should probably write up some encouraging words about how well it went when I talked to everyone. At the time I got my first results it wasn't really acknowledged that it might be a false positive and so I was very certain I did indeed have it, and was actually thinking that I'd been unknowingly carrying it for decades. I contacted everyone, including my ex-husband, and everyone--with the one notable exception I mentioned above-- was not just "okay," they were kind, caring, and compassionate with me. Two men I'd dated before actually took the opportunity to tell me they would still like to date me if I wanted to do so. It wasn't fun to have to tell anyone, a lot of tears were shed, but the experience was actually so reassuring to me.

I will say though, that it's an illustration of why it's best to only get involved with great people from the start! Choosing caring people to be in your life, whether for long term or for more casual relationships, is the best approach, 100% of the time. With the men I've dated since my divorce, I'd made an effort to only get involved with mature people who were capable of having good long talks about sexual practices and STDs and testing--so ultimately the fact that I'd already paved the way with openness and honesty and showing a concern for sexual health and safety was the reason that 1. of course I had to contact and tell them, I would expect the same from them if there was a chance they'd exposed me unknowingly, and 2. it went so well with most of them because we'd already established that sort of honesty on the topic.