• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

2nd Outbreak - What to expect?

Hiya,

Just a quick back story, 6 months ago I was diagnosed with HSV1, after my now boyfriend unknowingly went down on me with a coldsore. To keep it short and sweet it was a horrendous first outbreak accompanied by a skin infection, I'm talking your downstairs dripping green goo, swelling so bad I couldn't close my legs properly, eventually and very painfully wetting myself in a luke warm puddle of bath water.. It all cleared and for 6 lovely months herpes was nothing but a lesson to tell my friends about (I have told my friends and family and also my boyfriend who was devastated that he'd given it to me everyone's all fine with it, herpes is not something to be ashamed of people, it's no ones fault and talking about it openly and teaching people to be aware is a good way of making the situation seem less of a situation)

Anyway! I think I am having my second outbreak and I have realised I have no idea what to expect, my first outbreak was so bad and I assumed that they would all be like that? What I would like to know is what to expect, I know that everyone is different, but how have people here managed their second outbreak and what was it like? Do outbreaks differ in intensity every time? Will some be as bad as others or will they continue to get better and better until I can almost function normally while having an outbreak?

At the moment this outbreak has been going on for maybe 4 days and so far I can still pee without pain and am only expierencing minor discomfort, does this mean its going to develop into sitting in the bath trying to hold on for as long as I can to prevent the pain?

So the recurrents are nothing like your primary. They're just annoying and not painful. Start soaking in Epsom salt baths daily until symptoms subside and buy bactine to spray thee affected area several times a day and it should be fine in days. Mine was horrendous too and w severe neuropathy and the only thing I get since then, is redness in my groin crease and a single or couple bumps that never turn into anything else. So don't worry. Are you on meds? Nope, you should be fine.

So the recurrents are nothing like your primary. They're just annoying and not painful. Start soaking in Epsom salt baths daily until symptoms subside and buy bactine to spray thee affected area several times a day and it should be fine in days. Mine was horrendous too and w severe neuropathy and the only thing I get since then, is redness in my groin crease and a single or couple bumps that never turn into anything else. So don't worry. Are you on meds? Nope, you should be fine.

Are the recurrent ones ever painful or just uncomfortable? I had a spare pack of acyclovir from when I was first diagnosed that I started taking as soon as I realised it probably was a 2nd outbreak but otherwise I haven't taken anything for it since the first outbreak cleared up.

Nome of mine gave been painful. I onky notice them from wiping and washing. Just feels a little tender when you touch... Doesn't bother me to sit, walk or exercise.

Hi Again, Sorry. Is there any way to actually know if its a 2nd herpes outbreak? This seems so different to the first that I'm starting to think what if its something else.. My boyfriend complained of a really bad smell and a 'syrupy' discharge (I didn't realise I was having an outbreak at this point) and I've had itching, soreness, the discharge and maybe like one sore but I've just read somewhere that a second outbreak shouldn't smell? It doesn't smell at this point but because of what my boyfriend said I'm now worried it's something else.

Is it smelling during or after sex, kinda fishy? That would be indicative of a BV infection.

It's really hard to learn your body post H, so we recommend journaling daily w symptoms, possible triggers such as foods, alcohol, stress, lack of sleep, this will help you to learn what is and isn't an OB.