• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone know about hsv and medication issues in old age?

I also have major concens about old age.

They already came up with a vaccine for HPV, it's still for younger people but it's still progress.

They think that because it does not kill people it's not a priority, but the truth is that they don't know if it will kill people by adding o other illnesses and is does kill a lot of people emotionally.

Even suicide. It's very hard to have something so extreme between your legs. We can lern to deal with it but it's the most intimate/vulnerable part of your body.

Anyone know about hsv and medication issues in old age?

@mcf1971 Something like 95% of old people have HSV, at least in the U.S. This includes a very high percentage of old people with genital herpes specifically. I don't know of specific issues with mixing meds, but as with all meds, it's wise to run your various meds through an app or website feature that checks for possible contraindications.

@mcf1971 Something like 95% of old people have HSV, at least in the U.S. This includes a very high percentage of old people with genital herpes specifically. I don't know of specific issues with mixing meds, but as with all meds, it's wise to run your various meds through an app or website feature that checks for possible contraindications.

I'm not a senior yet but i'm trying to educate myself as much as possible

I would also want to know if there are any serious clinical trials/research testing the effectivenes of alternative health medicines in treating and preventing herpes. I haven't found any real research on it. Only an anecdotal information about different herbs, oils, etc...

Do you know anything about it? The medications that they're prescribing now eventually affect the immune system because they're antiviruses. It's so frustrating that they still know so little about it and there are no vaccines?

@mcf1971 I haven't read of negative effects of long-term antiviral use, but symptoms and shedding decrease with time (time from infection), most people don't have bothersome symptoms or don't even know they're infected, and many who take antivirals only take them episodically (such as once a year for a few days) so I would guess daily antiviral use would be low in elderly people anyway. I would think daily use would be limited to those having casual sex with partners of unknown status, those in discordant relationships who are particularly concerned about transmission (many discordant couples stop antivirals and/or condoms at some point or never used them at all, but I'm referring to those who wish to use preventive measures for an extended period) and those who contracted the virus as seniors and have bothersome and frequent outbreaks. Just speculating.

Everything I've read indicates proven methods to decrease transmission are as follows: (1) disclosure, (2) daily antivirals, (3) condoms, (4) avoiding sex during prodrome and outbreaks. I have seen no scientific evidence of anything else working but many anecdotal reports of Lysine, stress reduction and sufficient sleep being helpful in reducing frequency of outbreaks.