• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just diagnosed today and it's complicated

I just found out today (yesterday I suppose) that I have genital HSV1. I had been prepping myself for that result for the past week so I don't feel as awful as I did Saturday when I first got tested, but still pretty down. The urine and blood results both came back negative so they took a culture from the sores which came back positive. This means the infection is new, no? Where it's complicated is I believe it's from my most recent partner who I have only been with since late November or early December. However, not to long before that I was with someone I had been with off and on for about a decade who is married. I know she has had a cold sore before and she only performed oral on me once over a year ago. I'm clearly cutting off all sexual contact with her, but I don't know if I should tell her as I think the infection came after the last time we were together and I don't want to get her worked up over nothing. I told the recent partner as nicely as I could considering everything and she's saying it's not her. But with the apparent newness of the infection it could only be either of the two.

What to do?

Hmm that's tough...IMO telling your most recent partner was the best thing you could do. She could be an asymptomatic carrier. To be sure she needs to be tested. As for the married woman that's tricky...if she gets cold sores then she probably already knows she has hsv1 orally.