• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Could my childhood bladder infections have been hsv2 outbreaks?

I'm late 40s. Lesbian.

Have been with three or four men, but after my mid-20s only women.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out where I got this.

I have never experienced an "outbreak."

BUT!!!!

When I was a child, I had lots of "bladder infections." I'm wondering if my doctor back then just assumed they were all bladder infections and simply prescribed me antibiotics without testing my urine to make sure they were actually bladder infections.

Back then things were different. People were in denial about sexual abuse. Probably even family doctors wouldn't even DREAM a nine-year-old had contracted hsv2.

That said, I don't remember being sexually molested but I had a pretty emotionally traumatic childhood and have blocked out a lot of my past.

I recently posed these concerns to my mom and she said my bladder infections were accompanied by fevers, but hsv2 can be accompanied by fevers too.

Considering the path of virus--that the initial outbreaks are the worst and then things taper off from there--it seems like these "bladder infections" could actually have been hsv2 outbreaks.

Thoughts?

P.S. I only got tested because my current gf teased me that my lips peeled a lot. I knew it wasn't hsv1 but sun damage, but I wanted to prove it to her. So for the first, I think, time in my life I asked for an hsv2 test. It came up negative for hsv1 but positive for hsv2.

P.P.S. The girlfriend didn't have the greatest reaction when I initially told her. Then she took the test and came back positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2. Life is weird.

@Welphmm It sounds unlikely to me. Bear in mind that a majority (55.3%) of single/divorced/widowed women of your age in the U.S. are infected with HSV2 and the great majority of them (80-90%) are unaware, either because they don't have symptoms or because their symptoms are mild enough to go unnoticed. Most women would have a hard time tracing the source of infection by that age. I'm around your age and had the same experience (found out through a blood test when I was 47, don't know when I got it or from whom).

Edit to add: Forgot to address your comment about only having been with 3 or 4 men. A large study in the U.S. indicated that 19% of girls/women between the ages of 14-49 with a history of 2-4 sex partners are infected with HSV2, so that would have been the relevant statistic for you by your mid-20s. Unfortunately, there have been a lack of studies on transmission between same sex partners, but HSV2 is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact. Involvement of a penis increases transmission risk, but that doesn't mean there is otherwise no risk, just less risk than when a penis is involved.