• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Frequent yeast infections/OB question

I was diagnosed with HSV2 in July, since then I've only had much less minor OBs with either after sex or right before my period, and it seems to be coupled with yeast infections.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems the first few months with their diagnosis? Does my body eventually get control or is this something I will have to combat for years?

It seems to be hormonal for me since I'll get a yeast infection a few days before then my period will arrive. Would this be fixed with birth control?

Me! I acquired HSV2 18-25 years before ever getting diagnosed. I had no idea all that time. I thought I was just cursed with frequent itchy yeast infections. Once I was diagnosed and started to pay attention, I realized that while I did have mild yeast infections once in a blue moon, most of my symptoms were from HSV and absolutely tied to my menstrual cycle. Valtrex didn’t really do anything for me, but acyclovir has been a godsend. My itching is all but gone (only the tiniest bit every few months or so) and I haven’t had a “yeast infection” for well over a year.

I was on the pill for years and I will say I had fewer true yeast infections for most of those years....seems like the yeast infections flared up right when I started and stopped the pill.

Have you tried antivirals to see if they help?

Me! I acquired HSV2 18-25 years before ever getting diagnosed. I had no idea all that time. I thought I was just cursed with frequent itchy yeast infections. Once I was diagnosed and started to pay attention, I realized that while I did have mild yeast infections once in a blue moon, most of my symptoms were from HSV and absolutely tied to my menstrual cycle. Valtrex didn’t really do anything for me, but acyclovir has been a godsend. My itching is all but gone (only the tiniest bit every few months or so) and I haven’t had a “yeast infection” for well over a year.

I was on the pill for years and I will say I had fewer true yeast infections for most of those years....seems like the yeast infections flared up right when I started and stopped the pill.

Have you tried antivirals to see if they help?

I'm prescribed acyclovir for OBs only and not on daily supressive dose, it sounds like when you started taking suppressive meds it helped with your yeast infections. They are just annoying to take care of on top of having a cycle!

I suspect that many times when I *thought* I was having a mild yeast infection, I was really having herpes symptoms.

Boric acid powder (available at a pharmacy or online) can be put into gel capsules and inserted into the vagina as a suppository. You’d have to google for more details as I haven’t used it since starting acyclovir and have forgotten! I think my naturopath (who originally recommended it to me) said when I got a yeast infection, use the suppositories for a few days at night, followed by a few days of suppositories made with a very strong (prescription strength) probiotic. I often inserted a little (cold so it’s firm) coconut oil right after the boric acid capsule to minimize any irritation and help things along.

As someone who has tried every yeast infection treatment under the sun and Diflucan many times, I swear to god boric acid suppositories followed by some probiotics directly into my vagina is freaking amazing by comparison to anything else. It’s messy and a pain to fill empty capsules with the powder, but it’s also cheap. Most importantly, it was really effective for me. Good luck!