• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How to interpret my results and the next step?

Shane

This is my first time joining a forum to ask for help. I have obsessively researched herpes and everything pertaining until I feel like I have driven myself insane, as I’m sure most of you have. With that being said here is my story.

I am a 25yr old male who at the beginning of December had a sexual encounter with someone who proceeded to tell me they were hsv-1 positive in their genitals afterwards. I honestly have been wreckless hardly ever using protection and this time was not any different (poor choice on my part). Of course I went to my doctor afterwards and had blood work done. This was 4 days after the sexual encounter that it was performed.

An igm blood test was done and the results were 1.51, I was then diagnosed with herpes.

After researching I have discovered how flawed this test is and the possibilities of false positives. How probable is this?

1) I am wondering how I should interpret this test and should further testing be done?

2) Was that an adequate amount of time for antibodies to develop resulting in a positive test? I have not had any physical symptoms although I felt like I had pain in my hips, however I also workout religiously and could have been paranoid.

After I received my results I talked to my parents who are both positive for hsv-1 as well.

I am unsure whether I could have a false positive. Or if I contracted it from my parents growing up, I would be shocked if I got it after a one night stand but I know this is possible.

One last thing, does anyone have information following vaccines? I have read as much as I can into theravax and other vaccines but reliable information can be hard to find.

I apologize about all the questions. My doctor has been unavailable to talk to and I have been trying to process all this.

Thank you all for your time.

You should totally disregard the results of an IgM test. I would go back to your doctor and ask for an IgG test (or find a new doctor). Everyone produces antibodies at different rates, but by the time you get to 16 weeks post exposure, 97% of those with the virus will test positive. At six weeks, only 70% of those with the virus will test positive. So you should wait a while before retesting.

Also, be aware that the blood tests miss a significant number of HSV1 infections. I forget the statistic, but it was a chunk.

Keep in mind the blood tests won’t tell you where someone has the virus. Most adults already have oral HSV1, and few of them have symptoms, so a positive blood test wouldn’t mean you necessarily had the virus genitally.

If you’re not having any symptoms, I wouldn’t lose a lot of sleep over this. Retest at 16 weeks and be aware of the risks going forward. Condoms lower risk of transmission, but they don’t eliminate it. I got HSV and my previous partners before marriage always used condoms. At the same time, transmission is not a given. I have both HSV1 and HSV2 and yet my ex husband of 15 years didn’t get either (we didn’t use condoms and I was diagnosed after the divorce). Good luck.