• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ghsv 1 Had unprotected sex during 1st outbreak before I knew I had it.Any chance he didn't catch it?

So I'm a female (22) and I have been hooking up with this guy(24) for about 6 months. We met through a mutual friends house and have been seeing each other since but we're not official, but we've been having unprotected sex. I knew I was clean before we first had sex because I had gotten tested a few months before him and haven't slept with anybody unprotected since my last test before him, and he told me he was clean. I believe he was telling the truth. 2 months after seeing him I got a full std test out of curiosity which included herpes 1& 2 and both came out negative. 2& 1/2 months later I ended up hooking up with a different guy. I was drunk and barely remember it and I honestly feel like he took advantage of me. If I was sober I would have never hooked up with him. We didn't have sex, he just gave me oral. And the whole situation could've been avoided because I was at my friends house and they're all roommates, I was there to see my female friend. But me and him ended up hooking up. And I really regret it. Fast forward to now, a couple months later and I just found out 2 weeks ago that I have genital herpes type 1. I started having symptoms about 3 or 4 weeks after that drunk night with that guy which lasted a couple weeks but I didn't think it was herpes. The symptoms were very mild. I had a pimple like bump on my genital area a couple inches down from my belly button which was there for a few days then started going away. Then at that same area one morning I felt a really sharp tingling sensation then later on that day a new bump/ lesion popped up right in the spot where I felt the tingling and where the last bump was. I just blew it off because I've gotten pimples and bumps on my vagina in the past and it didn't turn out to be anything. I was a little confused about the tingling but just blew it off, thought my body was just acting weird. Then, silly me, I had sex with first guy (24) unprotected the night of that same day I felt the tingling and the bump popped up. I'm really worried that I may have passed it onto him in this encounter. Then a little bit after this my whole vagina was sore and it would burn when I used soap to wash down there in the shower. I didn't have sex with him during this time because my vagina was hurting. I thought it was probably a yeast infection. So I went to the doctors and got an std test and yeast infection test just to be sure. A week later the results come in everything is negative except for herpes type 1. I was devastated. Sad and crying. I know it's genital hsv 1 because I've never had a cold sore. And the first guy, he's never given me oral before. We usually just go straight to sex. So I'm pretty sure it was the guy I messed around with when I was drunk that gave me this when he went down on me. I'm so mad and regret ever hooking up with that guy! I wish i never did that. Is there any chance my friend, the first guy didn't catch it? I heard genital hsv 1 is harder to transmit than g hsv 2 and oral hsv 1, because it's not in it's preferred location. And it's harder for a male to catch it from a female because they have fewer mucus membranes down there. It was only one bump/lesion and it wasn't on my labia, it was on the outside on the top of my pubic area just a few inches down from my belly button so is there a chance he didn't catch it since his pens didn't touch any lesions even though I was having an outbreak? Btw I haven't told him I have this yet, and I haven't seen him recently because I've been avoiding him and don't know how to tell him. And he actually just got a full std test last week and he told me everything was negative. But if I passed it onto him it would be too soon for a blood test to detect it. He hasn't mentioned any weird symptoms and he doesn't know I have this yet. Is there any chance he didn't contract it from that encounter?

Do you know if his STD tests include HSV testing? Most often, they do not. If they do not, it's very possibly he already has HSV1 and simply is unaware. It's very common and only 30% of people with oral HSV1 get cold sores, so most don't know they have it.

You're correct that genital HSV1 is less active and presumed to be less contagious than genital HSV2 as a result. On average, genital HSV2 sheds about 3x more frequently than genital HSV1. However, genital HSV1 is slightly more contagious than genital HSV2 when symptoms are present, so the "less contagious" aspect would not apply to times when symptoms are present. Still, there's a good chance he already has oral HSV1 (which would largely protect him from contracting it genitally) and isn't testing for it, and as you said, he is less susceptible to genital infection because he is male rather than female.