• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just diagnosed and feel like I'm drowning. I need support

After having to fight to get into the doc I was diagnosed with herpes. I have herpes. It was the straw that broke this camel's back. I've been fighting through devastating life events since 2015 (miscarriages, family death, poverty) and now this. I seriously considered suicide multiple times since this discovery. I'm so very, very tired of fighting and being strong. I won't do it because I have a beautiful son. I'm scared to touch him, hug him, even prepare him food. My faithful husband and I have been together for 11 years. The doctor said that one of us probably touched something contaminated and that's how it was contracted. We've had a wonderful sex life and now it's come full stop until we heal. Y'all, I am drowning. I can barely keep it together anymore. The hubs is a great support, but he has compartmentalized, accepted it, and moved on. I can't figure out this injustice. I feel that God is punishing me for something and I don't know what. Please, any encouraging words and kindness is so desperately needed.

God is not punishing you. This is a very common issue and it happens to alot of people. You are not alone in this. Herpes is a skin condition that is almost always transmitted through skin to skin contact, so I am not sure about picking it up on anything else. This is a virus, just like the cold or flu. It does not alter the person you are or ever have been. For me, I had to change my mindset about this. Focusing on what I do have and all the blessings in my life, rather than focusing on a not so bad skin condition has helped tremendously.

Thanks for your kindness. Every time I get sad today I tell myself "It's no worse than shingles. You are still a good person". I guess I'm so confused on how best to protect my son from this. I know that if you dry yourself after the shower that you can transmit it to the eyes. I've also asked a friend to help me find a therapist. My Type A personality is just having trouble coping I guess. I saw a trigger can be stress. What do you do to help keep calm?