• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Negative HSV test years later

In August 2016, I slept with a girl who I just met and within about a week, I felt like something wasnt right, and what looked to be symptomatic of HSV 2. I wound up getting 2 cultures done. One came out negative, the 2nd one was positive. Both cultures were done 3 days of each other. I also had the HSV 1 & 2 blood tests done. But not surprisingly (given the amount of time from exposure and not enough time to create antibodies, I didnt expect to get a positive result) and it came back negative back in August 2016, despite 2 contradicting culture results.

Flash forward 2 years later, I've never gotten a 2nd break out or any symptoms. Of course, anytime something feels a little off I get concerned but I monitor it. I've also been taking 500mg of Valtrex daily since my partner doesnt have HSV. And I take it for suppressive therapy to soothe my anxieties. So anyway, last week October 2018, I took a blood test for HSV 1 & 2, and 2 years later, the blood test is still testing negative (>.90) which is the same as the previous baseline 2 years earlier when I first tested positive from one of the cultures (the first culture was negative).

So now I'm utterly confused as to whether I have HSV 2 at all! I've had 2 blood tests 2 years apart showing negative results, and one of 2 cultures showing positive. 

Is it possible I never had HSV 2 to begin with and the 2nd of the 2 cultures was a false positive? Or is it possible that having taken Valtrex every day for the past 2 years somehow inhibited my body from creating antibodies that would confirm their presence for a positive result on a blood test? My doctor seems to think I may not have ever had it at all given the 2 negative blood tests, 2 years apart. We discussed me stopping valtrex all together and coming back in 2-3 months for a follow up blood test. Although part of me is still convinced I may very well have it and concerned that maybe the valtrex had been effectively suppressing it all this time (to include antibodies) and I dont know if I want to roll the dice to confirm my suspicions, while simultaneously still having sex with an unaffected partner.

Any ideas?

It could be that the medication inhibits your body to produce antibodies indirectly, or it was wrong diagnosis first place (seems impossible if it was culture).  I personally think there is also possibility that you are cured, though everywhere says hsv is incurable. (I have not been 100% convinced by this saying.)

If I were you, I would just stop taking medication for at least 3-6 months and have a blood test. If it’s still negative, then accept and cheer that you are hsv 2 free!! Good luck!!