• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Please help: I don't know what to do

To everyone that will read this, 

Please don't think that I am a bad person. I have made such a terrible mistake and I don't know what to do, the guilt is eating me up inside and I feel like I am being swallowed whole. I feel suicidal. 

I was recently given the diagnosis of HSV-2 positive. I have never had any symptoms, and had, until recently been in a 2 year relationship with a man, in which we had unprotected sex. When we broke up he got a sexual health check and I had not transmitted it.

Last night, I had a big Christmas party at work, and it was an open bar. I am a severe lightweight since I am recovering from Anorexia and I was so nervous about being around new people I drank so much more than I ever have done in my life. I can't remember a thing except that I woke up the next morning in bed with a colleague. We had been flirting and things had happened beforehand but never actual sex. I had been gearing myself up to telling him about my HSV-2 prior to having sex with him (this is my first sexual encounter since being diagnosed), but I was so wasted I can't even remember getting in the car or the sex itself. 

I tried to act natural and normal and I asked whether we had used a condom. He said no. 😣 I am just in pieces. The guilt is eating me up inside. 

The man is a lot older than I am and didn't seem too bothered by any of it, mentioning that at least I was on contraception. 

The worst thing about all this is that this man's best friend is the flatmate of someone I had had sex with, and our 'relationship' had ended badly because I decided to be an adult and get demand that we get a sexual health check if we were to carry on having sex (This was how I found out I had HSV-2) This man was a narcissist and now absolutely hates my guts, even though I didn't give him anything; he was clean. So the likelihood is, this man will probably tell flatmate that I have herpes, and in turn, he will tell the colleague I slept with. I am distraught with what I have done, distraught. I should have demanded to use a condom, I shouldn't have got so drunk, I am such an idiot. 

I know the likelihood of me transmitting anything was low, I know this. But I feel like such a fool and I don't know whether to just tell him outright now before he may find out from his mate or just wait and tell the truth if he asks whether I have herpes. 

I know what I have done is wrong, and I have to take responsibility for my actions, I am just so terrified that it could spread around work if this man gets angry.

I am so sorry for such a long post, I just don't know where to turn.