• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antidepressants and HSV1

When I first came off my antidepressants after 16 years a year ago, I was feeling some arousal feelings down in my genital area then some feelings of uti symptoms a few times. I was diagnosed months later by blood test with 37 lgg antibodies for hsv1. At the time I was having bad sore throat but irritated in my vagina. Eventually I had a genital swab done which came back negative but Gyn said it looked like it could be herpes. I don’t t remember having any cold sores, and have had STD testing throughout all my pregnancies. Could weening off my antidepressants have brought something on? I have cheated on my spouse in the past but never had this. Am I still in denial? I take Valtrex every day even though my Gyn hasn’t seen anything else. 

I don't know of the link between weaning off your antidepressants and having an outbreak.  I am not aware of a link, but I know antidepressants can impact the immune system, so it is possible that it triggered something.

However, I don't think an IgG blood test being positive for HSV-1 means that you necessarily have it genitally. Many people are seropositive for HSV-1 from childhood (even if you never got cold sores). I think the best way to know in your case is to have a positive culture from a sore in the area. 

When you had a genital swab, was there a blister or sore? If not, do you know what it was about the irritation that made your GYN think it was herpes?

You might consider stopping valtrex for a little while, to see if any sores develop so that you can get a confirmatory diagnosis. If they do, you can get them swabbed.

However, my understanding is that gHSV-1 doesn't recur as frequently as HSV-2, so it's possible that even without valtrex, you might not have another outbreak (if that's what it was) for a long time (or ever). The virus can still shed though. 

Have you discussed your diagnosis with your husband (not sure how much he's aware of)?

I felt like there was a cut around my vaginal area and he swabbed that but it was negative. My husband only understands so much when I tried to talk about it with him. He says he had his STD test last year and it was negative but I don’t know if they tested for hsv. He had a rash below his scrotum and in between his thighs couple months ago but his primary said it was some other skin problem. To me it looked like a jock itch rash on his inner thighs but it always worries me. 

I told my Gyn that I felt a lot of irritation and just felt uncomfortable down there every other week which was a couple of months ago and he said there was nothing that looked suspicious in fact it looked very good lol but I’m like why do I have these feelings and was even on valtrex every day? He kind of shrugs it off like it’s nothing. So, in my head I’m thinking well it’s in my nerves then maybe that’s why I feel this way at times. I’m postmenopausal and not small dosage of estrogen I insert once or twice a week. At one point I felt like my ass muscles were so sore so maybe it is in the nerves!! He said too I wouldn’t be having constant OBs if that’s what I’m having being on Valtrex every day. So I’m crazy??

I don't think you're crazy. But I think that this virus (or the suspicion of the virus) can drive us crazy. 🙂 

Is there any inflammation or just the neurological symptoms?

The reason I ask is because after my first outbreak I experienced a lot of pain, burning, tingling, etc. for months, but no blisters. I had inflammation (not sure if there is any inflammation). I was tested for yeast and bacteria and everything was negative. Eventually I went to a new doctor and she prescribed metronidazole and told me that not all bacteria shows up on those tests. I was better within a week.

I had attributed all of my symptoms to herpes, but they were not herpes related. 

I'm not saying that your symptoms are not herpes related, but it may be worth asking for additional treatment or testing for other things. 

I do have issues with diverticulitis flare ups and uti and once a kidney infection, so I’m very familiar with strong antibiotics. I was getting severe left thigh pain and then went to my hip about a year ago, but not too bad now. After I had a kidney infection 2 yes ago, I started feeling the vagina irritation and burning, some tingling and thought I had even a hemorrhoid at that time. Since then I just didn’t feel different until last year in May when I stopped taking my antidepressants. That’s why I’m wondering if the antidepressants helped with suppressing the nerves. The guy I was cheating with is married and never has been tested for anything and I’m not his first affair, so that’s another thing. Who knows what goes on in his marriage too. Just curious why all this has started since then.  My Gyn doesn’t seem so concerned about anything. So, for now I just take precautions. So, it’s always in the back of my mind and trying to have a sex life but hard to get too aroused thinking what if and it’s not as satisfying as it was. Bring on hormonal vag inserts, it still hurts having sex and sometimes there’s little blood so then I’m thinking again something’s up there. I guess I’ll just have to wait if anything else comes up.  

On 5/7/2019 at 5:16 PM, tiredandlonely said:

I don't think you're crazy. But I think that this virus (or the suspicion of the virus) can drive us crazy. 🙂 

Is there any inflammation or just the neurological symptoms?

The reason I ask is because after my first outbreak I experienced a lot of pain, burning, tingling, etc. for months, but no blisters. I had inflammation (not sure if there is any inflammation). I was tested for yeast and bacteria and everything was negative. Eventually I went to a new doctor and she prescribed metronidazole and told me that not all bacteria shows up on those tests. I was better within a week.

I had attributed all of my symptoms to herpes, but they were not herpes related. 

I'm not saying that your symptoms are not herpes related, but it may be worth asking for additional treatment or testing for other things. 

You seem like a very sweet person!!