• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Spreading herpes to yourself/piercings?

I’m very aware of everything I do and the risks that’s why I try to wash my hands, wipe everything down etc. last night, when I was using the restroom and tmi but I pulled my shorts up and the string to my shorts touched my vagina directly. I had to pull it out but I proceeded to take a paper towel with some soap and water so I could wipe down the strings. While I was sleeping I noticed my shorts had ridden up and were touching my naval piercing. Should I be concerned I just spread it? I have no active sores currently. Also, can you spread the virus to another part of your body via discharge? I know if you touch a sore then touch your eye or mouth it can obviously infect it but if you have no visible signs can you infect another site of your body? Many people have told me yes and many people have told me no so I’m confused. Some professionals said you can’t spread it to another area because for example herpes in the eye is different from genital herpes then others said no you can’t spread it to another site because the virus stays where it started

Hey @Chrissy_ and welcome! How long have you had herpes? Auto-inoculation is more rare the longer you have herpes since your body is building up immunity via antibody production. Here's an article that should help answer your question (to your question specifically, check out the "What about spreading herpes to other parts of my body?"):
https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/how-can-you-get-herpes

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@mr_hopp I read the article and did help clarify some of my questions. However I’m still left wondering even without sores present I know you can still spread the virus so can it be spread through vaginal fluid or is it only when you have a sore present? Since I got a paper cut on my finger and I’m unsure if it came in contact with vaginal fluid. Is there a test to see what site is affected? I want to be positive I haven’t spread it to another area of my body before sleeping with a potential partner. 

Great questions! Auto-inoculation is very rare without an active outbreak. The earlier on in having herpes (before your body has built up immunity) and the more virus that is being shed, the easier it is to auto-inoculate. But passing herpes from one part of your body to another via viral shedding is very hard to do, especially in the scenario that you shared. Vaginal fluid doesn't carry virus unless there is an outbreak and the fluid within the sore gets in contact with your vaginal fluid. If you were having an active outbreak, if it was broken open and if that fluid from the sore got onto your pant strings had come in contact with the outbreak, then there would be more likelihood of auto-inoculation, but in your case, I wouldn't worry. There isn't a test other than going to the doctor's office and getting an area swabbed that you think may be infected, but it's not an exact science since virus won't always be shedding from an area that might or might not have been infected. 

How long have you had herpes? 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Spreading herpes to yourself/piercings?