• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV-2 shedding question

Hey,

I've posted on here once so far after finding out I had genital herpes and it was really helpful.

I had another question about asymptomatic shedding. Even though I did not have a serious outbreak (no pain/itching), I did get a slight burning sensation on my genitals as if I had a paper cut. I've been taking Valtrex and my skin is now cleared up for the most part (even though there is still some discoloration). Should I expect this spot on my genitals where I suspect the virus entered to be where asymptomatic shedding will occur? or will it occur somewhere else on my skin? like my pubic region, my thighs etc. I guess I'm getting a little paranoid that the virus can be seeping out of my skin on any part of my body at any time. 

My girlfriend does not have the virus, and I do not want to spread it to her (which is why I'm on suppressive therapy now). However, I've read that the virus typically spreads through asymptomatic shedding, when I do not even have any sores present. I got intimate with my girlfriend a few days ago for the first time since my diagnosis and I kept my pants on the entire time I wore a condom because I was so afraid of "shedding" from some random place on my body. Am I just being overly paranoid? Is this how "shedding" works? 

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...