• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Disclosing/intimacy talk

Hello! 

So I have the handout for the disclosure talk but I wanted some input on taking this discussion further. I know that if someone had brought this up to me, I would have questions regarding having sex. So here are some questions I want to be prepared to answer:

1. Can you transmit to a partner if they are touching your genital area with their hands while you are shedding? Precautions to take to reduce risk?

2. Can an HSV2- person perform oral sex on an HSV2+ person? What precautions could we take to reduce risk.

3. Has anyone ever used a female condom, and if so what’s your opinion on them? Comfortable? Awkward? Would like both male a female perspectives if possible!

I know we are able to live normal lives with the intimacy that we deserve but are there any serious precautions that one may not know of that I need to take before having sex with an HSV2- partner? I just want to make sure I am doing my absolute best to keep them safe. I also want to enjoy it without worrying and being paranoid.

thanks!

1. Technically I think you could cause herpes Whitlow , although I think it is probably pretty rare. Sorry I don't know exact statistics , but assuming the virus much prefers mucus membranes . You could make sure the hands don't have any cuts or abrasions , use a barrier method if you really want. You wouldn't spread the virus to their genitals through the hand though obviously , unless they quickly rubbed your juices onto themselves , although that would also probably be pretty rare. 

2. From my research hsv2 much prefers the genitals and it would be hard to transmit orally , although it does happen and is possible .. I think the risk is low , again a barrier method if you are really worried. 

3. Haven't used a female condom sorry , but assuming it would be krinkly haha. I'm sure it's not that bad. 

I think going on daily suppressive therapy along with consistent condom use should lower the chances of transmission to about 2-4 % per year or lower . I would recommend asking these questions on Westover heights to Terri Warren . Then you can show your partner an expert's opinion on these topics. Also get your partner a blood test if you haven't already to make sure she doesn't already have it .. I'm sure you already did this .