• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How soon before sex should I take antiviral therapy to protect partners?

So I know you can do episodic therapy vs suppressive with the main difference of that with episodic you only take meds at the onset of a prodrome instead of daily. Is it possible to only take meds right before you have sex to decrease shedding or does it have to be in your system for a few days prior to be more effective? I’d like to not take antivirals for awhile to see how my body handles the virus but I also want to protect the 2 partners I have when I’m ready to start having sex again ( I didn’t catch GHSV1 from either of them). I’m not in a committed relationship with either of them, and sex is usually a planned occurrence so I know a day or more in advance when it will happen. 

Great question! It does have to be in your system for at least a week before it will have any protective effects for your partner(s). 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: