• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Catching oral herpes from genital herpes?.. help

Hi my best friend & her boyfriend have genital herpes. We were drinking two days ago and she kissed me. It was a really quick peck cuz I didn’t want to and pulled away...

At the time I didn’t really care but as days go on, and I’m sober, I’m nervous about getting herpes too. I’ve never seen her with a cold sore but I know shes infected. She told me she took her medication but How worried should I be? also i gave my bf a blowjob and I’m nervous for both of us. I would hate to have given it to him cuz he hates when I hang out with my bestie since her diagnosis..... 

ive also never had a cold sore but this was only a few days ago she kissed me 

If you’re worried about getting oral herpes from your friend who has genital (?) herpes then passing it orally from you genitally to your boyfriend from a kiss I’d say you’re fine. Honestly you’ve probably been exposed to oral herpes more times in your life than you’d think (cold sores, sharing drinks, first kisses with a SO, etc). Generally type 1 (oral) transmits rather easily orally (cold sore on lip gives you cold sore on lip) them type 2 (genital to genital transmission) is easily transportable. When you start mixing sites you’re less likely to contract something. Example type 2 infects mouth even tho it generally infec genital is the least transmitted (still possible but think giving head with no previous history of cold sores to someone with genital type 2 herpes coming down from an outbreak but maybe not symptomatic) and that’s a far reach. As for someone disliking your friendship based on this, is a little outrageous and mean. I’m sorry your boyfriend is like this. Lots of people have consensual kisses with friends and lots even have herpes, like myself. Best bet ask question in a respectful manner and be honest with your boyfriend. You’ll probably be fine. 

1 hour ago, dudereally said:

If you’re worried about getting oral herpes from your friend who has genital (?) herpes then passing it orally from you genitally to your boyfriend from a kiss I’d say you’re fine. Honestly you’ve probably been exposed to oral herpes more times in your life than you’d think (cold sores, sharing drinks, first kisses with a SO, etc). Generally type 1 (oral) transmits rather easily orally (cold sore on lip gives you cold sore on lip) them type 2 (genital to genital transmission) is easily transportable. When you start mixing sites you’re less likely to contract something. Example type 2 infects mouth even tho it generally infec genital is the least transmitted (still possible but think giving head with no previous history of cold sores to someone with genital type 2 herpes coming down from an outbreak but maybe not symptomatic) and that’s a far reach. As for someone disliking your friendship based on this, is a little outrageous and mean. I’m sorry your boyfriend is like this. Lots of people have consensual kisses with friends and lots even have herpes, like myself. Best bet ask question in a respectful manner and be honest with your boyfriend. You’ll probably be fine. 

Thanks for replying and putting me at ease! After we kissed I thought it would be fine too. I know she gives her bf oral(the guy who gave it to her) but I still don’t think her herpes is oral so I wasn’t concerned at all, we were even sharing a Pepsi at some point. Plus, when she had her first outbreak she was living with me and we were sharing joints and drinks and nothing ever happened to me so I’m pretty sure it’s contained to their genitals. 

I’ve never been tested for herpes cuz I’ve never really had a reason to but every time I hang out with my friend my bf makes me feel like I need to see a doctor asap. It’s rude as hell cuz she’s been my bestie for 9 years and this just happened to her a few months ago. I wanna support her and treat her the same!! But I’m also not really educated so the kiss freaked me out a little bit bc my bf gets in my head abt things.