• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Would shaving trigger a herpes outbreak (genital HSV-1)?

So I got my HSV-1 in my pubic region in August. I have been using a electric trimmer since August but tonight I was just DYING for a clean shave with a razor for the first time since August. After I shave my pubes, I've always used Tend Skin after-shave solution. I know shaving can trigger and outbreak. But would my aftershave trigger an outbreak since it stings when you apply it?

• Like 1

Hello!

Shaving in general can cause irritation, itchiness, and ingrown hairs. Everyone has different triggers, so you can see if using a regular razor would result in an outbreak. Using the aftershave also could be a trigger, so what you could do is apply a small amount of it to a small area of skin and see if that causes an outbreak. Testing it on a small patch of skin helps see potential outcomes but minimized to just a small segment of skin, which is good in case sores appear. 

You also could look into some no-burn aftershave, or shave in the shower and use a gentle moisturizing soap to shave with and then apply a gentle aftershave afterwards. You can also look into some natural aftershaves with soothing properties, such as aloe. 

I hope this helps! Stay well!! 🌻

Sending blessings of health and happiness your way 🌄!!

- Grace

• Thanks 1
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Genital HSV1 & Shaving
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Would shaving trigger a herpes outbreak (genital HSV-1)?