• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Western Blot test in Australia

Hi all,

I am in NSW Australia. I had a blood test back in April and it came back positive for HSV2. I have never had an outbreak (lucky me) but this means everything to me because my partner is not HSV+ and I want to protect her. So I'm trying to get confirmation that I have it. ...
So I recently asked a sexual health physician about getting a Western Blot test. I went to Vincent's hospital for it and they took my blood. But when I got the results back, my physician told me they had stopped doing the Western Blot test here because the blood tests were so good.

So I have 2 questions. Firstly, has the blood test become very reliable recently? I was under the impression it was not that great.

Secondly, and most importantly, does anyone know of a way I can get a Western BLot test in Australia. Can I ship a test to the US? Are any other states in Australia still doing Western Blot?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi, a little update on this.
I recently found a place in Australia to do a Western Blot test  so I contacted my previous pysician (mentioned above) and asked fro a reference. She came back to me and said, oh St Vincents do do the Western Blot and I have your results from September!?!?😡

Anyway, so my result merely said HSV2 positive for antibodies.

I thought the Western Blot test gave more information than this. That was why I wanted it, to get a number that might indicate how transmissable I am. Or something.
Or am I misunderstanding what the Western Blot test can do?