• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IGG index level and timing?

Hey everyone!

So glad I found this forum. I was recently diagnosed via herpes select blood test. No outbreaks and to my knowledge I’ve never had one. 

I got tested because I used my mom’s lip gloss after her. I noticed she had an outbreak afterward I had already used it. 2 days later I had 2 canker sores in my mouth. Classic canker appearance and I’ve gotten them before. 

My question is - my IGG index level was 2.01. I got tested 8 days after this exposure. Is it possible to have acquired an IGG level like this so quickly? I’ve read it takes a median of 25 days to seroconvert and the fastest time I’ve read from the beginning of a new outbreak to IGG is 1.1 in 10 days. 

I know it’s not an exact science - but I would so appreciate any insight! Thank you so much. 

Hi!! 

This is a great question. 

Please know that oral HSV is very common, especially OHSV-1. You will be okay! 🙂

It typically takes an IgG blood result 12+ weeks after exposure to come back positive. Very soon after exposure, an IgM blood test can come back positive, because IgM antibodies spike in number during the first exposure. Eventually, as IgM antibodies die off, IgG antibodies build up (and eventually build up enough to be detected by an IgM blood test). 

If this is your first exposure to OHSV-1, then yes, it would be odd for you to come back with a positive IgG 8 days later. However, you said you have gotten canker sores before which is how you knew the ID of the sores that appeared in your mouth two days after using the chap stick. By canker sores,  are you referring to cold sores? Have you had cold orally before? If so, it is possible this is all a coincidence, and maybe you caught a cold or you are stressed so your body produced the two cold sores; it's just possible they appeared in coincidence with the chap stick use! This would also explain the IgG positive result. Also, just to clarify, it was positive for HSV-1, correct?

I hope this helps! 

Blessings! 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Flowerteacher55 said:

Hi!! 

This is a great question. 

Please know that oral HSV is very common, especially OHSV-1. You will be okay! 🙂

It typically takes an IgG blood result 12+ weeks after exposure to come back positive. Very soon after exposure, an IgM blood test can come back positive, because IgM antibodies spike in number during the first exposure. Eventually, as IgM antibodies die off, IgG antibodies build up (and eventually build up enough to be detected by an IgM blood test). 

If this is your first exposure to OHSV-1, then yes, it would be odd for you to come back with a positive IgG 8 days later. However, you said you have gotten canker sores before which is how you knew the ID of the sores that appeared in your mouth two days after using the chap stick. By canker sores,  are you referring to cold sores? Have you had cold orally before? If so, it is possible this is all a coincidence, and maybe you caught a cold or you are stressed so your body produced the two cold sores; it's just possible they appeared in coincidence with the chap stick use! This would also explain the IgG positive result. Also, just to clarify, it was positive for HSV-1, correct?

I hope this helps! 

Blessings! 🙂 

Wow thank you so much for your quick response. 

Yes - I had 2 canker sores, not cold sores after using the gloss. One was near my tonsil, another on my gums.  I’ve had canker sores in the past but it’s been a year or so since I’ve seen them: 

It could very well be a coincidence. & yes this is HSV 1 that came back with a positive result. I’m mostly concerned because if this was newly acquired - I’m worried about transmitting it to my boyfriend of a year. I was thinking about taking another blood test in a few weeks to see if the IGG has rises or not. If not, what’re your thoughts on a western blot?

Thank you again for the reply. So nice to talk to someone about this! 

• Like 1

Hi!! 

Thank you for the clarification!! 

So, canker sores are ulcers and are NOT contagious. They are caused by injury and even eating spicy or acidic foods can cause them! In comparison, HSV is contagious. So, the chapstick may not actually be a factor in this at all! 

Sometimes HSV tests can come back as a false positive. So, getting retested in a few weeks and monitoring symptoms sounds like a great idea. The Western Blot is used as a last resort or for those who want a more precise test. You can learn more from the University of Washington Virology Division's website!

It's wonderful that you are considerate about your partner. You can explain to them you tested positive for HSV-1 (technically we don't know where it is located since you have never had an outbreak) but you are going to get tested, and you just wanted to be honest and respectful and let them know. Your partner may be a little confused, but they of course should react supportively and respectully-- that's what you deserve!! 

Stay strong and stay well ☀️!!