• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes treatment options

Hi! I was diagnosed back in 2016 and have used acyclovir on and off to help with symptons. I was on suppressive treatment for a while a few years and back and it seemed to work. Last year, I started having outbreaks every couple of weeks (I was taking pills when the symptoms came on) so I went back to taking one per day. I'm still doing that now but if I have periods when I don't take them, I either have an outbreak or feel like I'm starting to. Where should I go from here? I'm trying to get an appointment with my local clinic to get more treatment but am just concerned as I nearly have no pills left and don't want to have outbreaks. 😕 any advice appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello!

You have a few options. You could look into the following factors...

Trigger or Changes: What changed last year when you started having these frequent outbreaks? Stress? Hormones? A new medical diagnosis? Etc. You could keep a log (similar to period tracking) and see what happens before you have an outbreak. You may find that they occur at different parts of your cycle if you have a period, or when you are stressed, etc. Then you can work on managing these triggers!

Consistent Medication Prescription: Worrying about medication can be really stressful. See if you can get a doctor, even one at a clinic, to write you a multi-month prescription so you don't need to worry about getting a prescription renewed. Antivirals are not addictive and do not have extremely dangerous side effects, so it really shouldn't be a problem for a doctor to prescribe a multi-month supply. They may try and be dismissive, but really advocate for your health and well-being. You matter! If money is an issue (prescriptions can be pricey!) you can try using a Good Rx card which really helps. Or, the doctor could even write a bulk prescription (so instead of having a three month+ prescription where you would have to go pick it up and pay 3 separate co-pays, they do a three month+ supply, in which you only pick up one giant supply and pay one co pay). This saves money and time! 🙂 

I hope that these suggestions help. Feel free to reach out with any more questions!

Sending blessings of health and happiness your way! 🌻

• mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes treatment options