• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

When is it safe after a herpes outbreak to have sex?

I’ve been on suppressive therapy for over 5 years. My partner & I have romantic date planned on Monday which we both been planning for. We both requested off from work to spend some quality time together. Then boom! an OB happen. Predome symptoms started Sunday and by Monday clusters formed. I’ve been using Femiclear and I’ve been taking 500mg valacyclovir twice a day instead of once a day. The cluster is still in the scabbing over phase because it’s still red & has the circle. It’s cluster is on the inside. 

I know I cannot have sex right now, but I believe the cluster will close by Monday. I’m not having in tingling or itchy sensation and no burning when urinating. Just waiting on the sores to close. Should I wait on having sex? When is it really safe to be intimate again? 

• Like 1

Hello!

I am so sorry about the timing of your outbreak. However, you can still be romantic in other ways 🙂!

In regards to timing, usually you are clear to be fully intimate again when you are 7 days symptom free. The first day begins when you are fully symptom free (so it may technically be 8 days).

Symptom free means not having scabs, symptoms of tingling/itching/redness/burning, and not having active sores. Although scabs indicate the sores are healing, the sores could reopen during intercourse and the virus also may be still shedding.   

I hope this helps! Remember that you and your husband can still be intimate while avoiding the area that has the outbreak. 

Sending healing blessings your way! ❤️ 

- grace

• mr_hopp changed the title to When is it safe after a herpes outbreak to have sex?