• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes and joining the national guard?

Hello everyone. I’ve had the big H for 3 years . Doesn’t bother me I get actual breakouts like once every 6 months. I do take antiviral daily . I’ve recently met with a recruiter about joining the national guard and he sold me a dream and I wAnt it ! Does anyone know if having HSV2 is a disqualification ? Between my family and my partner I’ve never disclosed my status to anyone . I’m so scared to tell my recruiter or ask him! Because of the obvious judgement and stigma of something that doesn’t bother me at all ! Then I don’t want to go to MEPs and lie either ? How do I go about this ? Anyone in similar situations? 

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you so much for wanting to sacrifice for the freedom and democracy of our nation! You are brave and you are appreciated. Congratulations on your soon-to-be new career! 

This is a great questions. Actually, others on this forum have asked about it too! Read their experiences and thoughts here: https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/topic/4728-herpes-and-the-military/

I hope this helps!! 

Another thing you can look at is the legit legal code of the military; they do have documents that explain medical disclosure, disqualifications, and such. I wouldn't tell anyone anything until you get more information. Your personal business is your business! 

Blessings to you! 🌟🇺🇲

grace

Grace ,

Thank you for ur response! I appreciate it so much. Where do I get such information without disclosing to my recruiter?! Sigh I don’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed! Most of the things online says it’s may not be disqualifying but I need current information ur link is from 2015! Ugh I don’t know what to do? Who to talk to? I’m so worried about I may not get it because of something that really doesn’t affect me very much 😥

Hello,

Yes, I know, the link and information is outdated. I reached out to my friend who is in the Marines and he said he doesn't think it would disqualify you, however they do STI checks every 6 months. The thing is, H does not appear on an STI panel (since you can't test for H from your urine). 

I found a document that outlines the medical disqualifications for the Army, however it is from the US Army Corp of Engineers website, so I'm not sure if all rules apply to you. However, the document explains it applies to "all uniformed service members" so that may be you! Here it is: https://www.tad.usace.army.mil/Portals/53/docs/UDC/medical-disqualifiers.pdf

I hope this helps! 

Blessings! 

• mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes and joining the national guard?