• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Will taking medication stop my body from building up the strength or immunity to naturally fight herpes?

Hi I've had herpes the past few years.  I'm currently single and not having sex.  When an outbreak occurs, I don't take the Valtrex (which in my experience clears it away quickly).  I allow for it to fully run its course and I'm under the impression that by doing so, I'm allowing my body to build up the strength/immunity to naturally fight the herpes.  Am I wrong about this?  Should I just take the Valtrex at every outbreak I have?  Or am I really doing myself good by not taking it?  

• Like 1

Thanks for asking this question because I often wonder the same. I haven't been able to find any research that gives a clear answer. But I have read that taking herpes medication every day can potentially build up a resistance where the medication stops working as well, same as really any antibiotic. So for me personally I try to take my valacyclovir as sparingly as possible. I am also single and not having sex so I usually just take it for a couple days when I notice symptoms and let my body heal the rest of the way. I am sure every person and every body is different though. Some people Probably take the same medication for decades and it always works great for them