• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Lysine vs arginine and herpes symptoms?

Lysine is an amino acid, it competes in the body with another amino acid called arginine. Arginine is found in nuts, meats, fish, dairy among other things. Arginine is a key amino acid for the production of nitric oxide which helps in many bodily functions.

I have been weight lifting and running my entire adult life (I’m 34). When I found out I had contracted HSV-2 I started doing all the frantic research I could. There are several myths/facts about foods that “can” cause outbreaks. Chocolate, peanuts, excess sugar, alcohol (alcohol is my number 1 trigger for outbreaks) are all things that people say cause outbreaks.

They say to take Lysine as a supplement because lysine competes with arginine. HSV needs arginine to function. So In theory, if you  reduce your bodies arginine levels you reduce the viruses ability to function. Well, hold on a second, because arginine is a very important amino acid and maybe it’s reduction is worse than it’s abundance.

Before I contracted HSV-2 I used to take arginine as a supplement. I also would take nitric oxide which is a combination of arginine and citrulline amino acids. Once I heard about arginine helping HSV I tossed out all my supplies. After about 2 years I did some research into HSV and nitric oxide supplements. Some people had no issues at all. So I decided to take arginine and nitric oxide again. I did not notice an increase in outbreaks or an increase in the intensity of outbreaks. I was on arginine for 6 months during a great season of working out. I was extremely disciplined when it came to zero excess sugar and drank plenty of water and took daily vitamins. I felt great, looked great and had very little symptoms at all. 

I have tried taking daily lysine supplements for about 8 months and did not notice a reduction or increase of symptoms.

• Thanks 1

Hello!

I hope you are well. 

Thank you for explaining arginine and lysine. Yes, it is very true that we cannot 100% eliminate arginine; we need it to live, since it's one of the four major amino acids that are the building blocks of our DNA helix! 

As @CSS1988 mentioned, while arginine-rich foods can potentially act as a trigger for outbreaks, remember that it may not be a cure-all and all bodies are different. For example, I literally eat a bunch of chocolate chips every night (I love chocolate) and have only had three HSV outbreaks (and I have had HSV since 2019!). 

Basically, every body is different, and everyone has a difference experience with their H. So, remember, if you choose to try modifying your diet, don't get discouraged if it doesn't provide the same effects as it did for someone else 🙂 !! There are many possible ways to help improve your H situations, don't give up hope! ❤️ 

Blessings to all! ❤️ 🙂 !!!

grace 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:37 PM, CSS1988 said:

Lysine is an amino acid, it competes in the body with another amino acid called arginine. Arginine is found in nuts, meats, fish, dairy among other things. Arginine is a key amino acid for the production of nitric oxide which helps in many bodily functions.

I have been weight lifting and running my entire adult life (I’m 34). When I found out I had contracted HSV-2 I started doing all the frantic research I could. There are several myths/facts about foods that “can” cause outbreaks. Chocolate, peanuts, excess sugar, alcohol (alcohol is my number 1 trigger for outbreaks) are all things that people say cause outbreaks.

They say to take Lysine as a supplement because lysine competes with arginine. HSV needs arginine to function. So In theory, if you  reduce your bodies arginine levels you reduce the viruses ability to function. Well, hold on a second, because arginine is a very important amino acid and maybe it’s reduction is worse than it’s abundance.

Before I contracted HSV-2 I used to take arginine as a supplement. I also would take nitric oxide which is a combination of arginine and citrulline amino acids. Once I heard about arginine helping HSV I tossed out all my supplies. After about 2 years I did some research into HSV and nitric oxide supplements. Some people had no issues at all. So I decided to take arginine and nitric oxide again. I did not notice an increase in outbreaks or an increase in the intensity of outbreaks. I was on arginine for 6 months during a great season of working out. I was extremely disciplined when it came to zero excess sugar and drank plenty of water and took daily vitamins. I felt great, looked great and had very little symptoms at all. 

I have tried taking daily lysine supplements for about 8 months and did not notice a reduction or increase of symptoms.

Thanks for sharing. I am new to this and just had positive hsv1 and 2 two days ago.

My question is : does lysine cause any digestive issue or symptoms like diarrhea? I've been working out for a long time  as well and know I have lactose intolerance and a very sensitive bowl. For example, 40mg magnesium will definitely give me a run to washroom.

• Like 1

CSS1988, I appreciate your insights, especially as a bodybuilder myself. I’m curious, do especially hard workouts give you prodrome symptoms?

Maybe it’s because my body is still adjusting but a hard leg day makes me feel like I have the flu now.

• Like 2

Hello @Nevemind!

Sorry for the late reply. 

I hope you are doing well. Please know that everything will work out. 

Yes, lysine can cause stomach pain and diarrhea when taken orally, among other side effects. If you aren't sure if it would be good for you, talk to your doctor. Here is an article about typical Lysine pills and natural food sources of lysine:   https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/supplement/lysine

@Dyna13 Hi! 

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. If you have GHSV, it is possible that lifting heavy things (if you bodybuild you may be putting stress on the spine and lower back/spine where the ganglia nerve bundle is; this is where GHSV lives). It's also possible that you are coming down with a cold or flu. In general, stress in any form (physical or emotional) can trigger outbreaks.

I hope this helps!

Blessings to you both! ☀️🌻

grace 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/7/2022 at 7:05 ΠΜ, Nevemind said:

Ευχαριστώ που το μοιράστηκες. Είμαι νέος σε αυτό και μόλις είχα θετικό hsv1 και 2 πριν από δύο ημέρες.

Η ερώτησή μου είναι: η λυσίνη προκαλεί κάποιο πεπτικό πρόβλημα ή συμπτώματα όπως διάρροια; Ασχολούμαι εδώ και πολύ καιρό και ξέρω ότι έχω δυσανεξία στη λακτόζη και ένα πολύ ευαίσθητο μπολ. Για παράδειγμα, 40mg μαγνησίου θα μου δώσει σίγουρα ένα τρέξιμο στο μπάνιο.

I don't have any issues with lysine as far as the digestive system is concerned, but every body is different  !!

• Like 1
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Lysine vs arginine and herpes symptoms?