• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just found out I have hsv1 & 2. I don't think I'm going to make it.

Hello everyone. I am new to this group and recently confirmed that I am hsv1 and 2 positive. I am husband and a dad with 4 children and I broken at the moment. I am not taking this well at all. This ordeal has me suicidal. I also believe I am going through a current outbreak all though I've never had an official outbreak on my genitals but I have all sorts of weird symptoms going on. I will say that I do have awful oral outbreaks. A lot actually. I had been tested about a year ago by my primary provider which at that time was a nurse practitioner. When she told me I tested positive for the viruses she didn't seem confident about it. So this month because certain symptoms came back I reached out to another provider and had another test. Both hsv1 and 2 came back positive. My current symptoms are burning sensations under my feet and legs, inner thighs, armpits, and neck. A constant burning sensation on my whole right side of my body. My back and buttocks are always on fire. I am assuming this is all nerves. I asked my new primary if hsv2 is known to cause certain nerve pains but he said no. I am in constant pain all the time. I am pain while I am writing this. I don't know what else or who to turn to! Any helpful replies or support would be greatly appreciated.

@RodRod hello and welcome!

Did you see results of your tests? What kind of test did they use? Combined or type specific? Did you ever have some kind of lesions on your genitals or buttocks or thighs? For how long are you having nerve pain? Is it constant or you get nerve pain from time to time? 

Don't be disheartened by your diagnosis. I know it is really hard at the beginning but believe me with time you will accept your diagnosis. At first it's shock and devastating experience but with time you will learn to handle it and I promise you that it's not the end of the world

Did your primary doctor offer you antivirals? 

Hello ☀️

Thank you so much for sharing your story and reaching out for help. 

Please know you are not alone. We are here to support you!! 

You are not bad. You are not dirty. You are not dangerous to your family. You are good. You are pure. You are safe and so is your family. 

2/3 of the world has oral HSV-1. 13.2% of the world has an HSV-2 infection. HSV is a common virus. It's society who created the stigma. Please know the stereotype and stigma have no value or truth or weight to them-- they're just puffed up with fear and judgement!! 

Have you always had cold sores? Did the doctor ever swab the oral sores? Or did you test positive from blood samples? 

It's totally possible for HSV to cause nerve symptoms like the ones you are describing. It is also possible for HSV to dwell but not awaken until later in life. Illness can trigger outbreaks; have you been sick recently/before the symptoms began?

Do you notice if the symptoms are ever worse or better, and so what seems to help or worsen the symptoms?

Have you tried heat or ice packs to soothe the nerves? 

Have you tried antivirals? If you're suffering this much perhaps an IV or antivirals would help you. It helps the body "reboot" when the virus is too overwhelming for the body. 

Stay strong and be kind to yourself. I know when bad things and scary things happen, we may feel there's no way out. However, I promise you there is. ➡️➡️❤️ If you're feeling like you may harm yourself, please call 988 ❤️

You will get through this, I promise!! Please reach out if you need anything, whether is advice or just someone to talk to. I am praying for you! 💛☀️

Blessings to you and your family ☀️🦋

grace

I feel for you so much. It’s such a shock at first and you can’t ever imagine getting back to life as you once knew it. Just know that the world needs you. Your family needs you. This community needs you. It does get better and the pain of knowing you have this virus living in you for life lessens and lessens as time goes on. 

I am going to be vulnerable and share something very private because I think it may help you feel not so alone: I was so mad at the virus for living in my body, and I know the only way for a virus to die is for its host to die. I wanted it dead so badly. But, I’m still here and doing just fine. You will be, too. 

Also, I would suggest seeking out a neurologist. That the speciality I had to turn to for my Mollaret Meningitis symptoms.  

• Like 1