• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Do I have herpes?

Hello, 

I have been to the gynecologist a couple of times since I started noticing strange symptoms. Beginning in the winter of 2020-2021 I had burning, tingling feeling on my butt as well as itchiness and tiny red bumps in the groin area 6 months after my relationship ended. They did the regular Pap smear and I mentioned is it possible I have herpes but they did not test for it. They gave me an anti-itch cream and referred me to a gastroenterologist because I felt a lump near my anus and it was very itchy and discharged a fluid. After that embarrassing appointment where they said, I just see a little pink bump. I waited quite a while to see any doctor again. I tried taking some supplements like lysine and garlic oil which relieved the itching. However it really bothered me because I never had this issue before. Last summer I had an outbreak of large pink welts that were incredibly itchy all around the bikini line area, waist, and on my bottom. At first I thought they were mosquito bites but I noticed they left a bit of a dark hyperpigmentation when they were healing and didn’t quite seem like mosquito bites. So I ended up going back to the gynecologist, and at this point I requested both herpes tests (there were no welts at this time). I got my blood work tested and it came back negative. However I still am getting those itchy welts. Now I have one above my ankle, and behind my knee, and on the groin area. They don’t turn white in the center but one has oozed a clear liquid in the past. Typically they turn a dark splotchy red and then heal. My eyes have also gone through bouts of itchiness, dryness, and I even have noticed several eye floaters which freaked me out because I wondered if it spread to other parts of my body. Should I get tested again? Is this HSV-2 or is it something else? I have a dermatologist appointment on Monday. Would they be able to tell? I would appreciate any advice. 

• Like 1

Hello! 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so sorry for the struggles you've gone through. Please know that there is hope and we are here for you! ❤️ 

It is terrible that you've been dealing with these symptoms since the Winter of 2020. You deserve answers and support, and I am so sorry that the doctors you've seen haven't been testing or anything for HSV. It's honestly surprising they didn't even give you antivirals to see if they would help clear anything up. 

When you first noticed the red bumps, how long did they last? 

At a PAP smear, they usually are testing for HPV and other types of pre-cervical cancers and STIs. However, they do not test for HSV. Many doctors are against testing for HSV because it is so common, but you are the patient and this is your health, so you should get to decide whether you get an HSV test! I really do not understand why they didn't just test you when you requested it originally. 

The bump inside your anus that released fluid; did they give you any diagnosis or hypothesis as to what it was? 

You could have HSV 1 or 2, and perhaps something else as well. 

Have they tried swabbing any of the welts?  The welts you are explaining could be some type of inflammatory rash or allergic reaction of sorts. It's great you are seeing a dermatologist, as a dermatologist would best be able to support you at this stage. They could also take a skin sample to see what exactly is going on. Make sure to really advocate for yourself and push for tests to be done. Explain your story and don't take no for an answer! 

I hope this helps! I am praying for you ❤️ Let us know how it goes on Monday!

Blessings,

grace

• Thanks 1

Thank you grace, I finally did get them to test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 back in November of 2021. Both came back negative. I had tiny pink bumps at the first onset and they were gone within a few days. The welts I get now hang around for at least 2-3 weeks. Thank you for your prayers. I am wondering if it isn’t some sort of inflammatory rash. 

• Like 2
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Do I have herpes?