• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have asymptomatic HSV-2. My girlfriend wants to swallow... is she at risk?

I am a positive male HSV2 asymptomatic, have never had an outbreak, tested positive about 7 years ago with an IGG HERPES SELECT - IGG type Specific result was greater than 5, so Definitely positive...... My new gf, is STD free, is orally fixated, wants to swallow.  She understands we have to use mostly manual stimulation to reach orgasm and avoid contact with her oral mucosal membranes, however, she still wants me to finish in her mouth and swallow the load.  Is she at risk of contracting HSV2 by swallowing this way? Should we avoid that practice altogether? Is the virus in semen? there's so much contradicting information. I've even thought about getting RE-tested with a WesternBlot, but it's probably a waste of time. Frustrated is an understatement. Just need to know if we're good or NOT. Prepared for whatever the truth is.

Hey there @Vulcanus!

I totally get that this whole HSV-2 situation can be frustrating and confusing, but let's try to shed some light on your concerns ...

Let's talk about your specific concern about your girlfriend swallowing. I want to put your mind at ease — the virus is not present in semen. So, there's no need to worry about transmitting HSV-2 through that particular practice. And especially since you're asymptomatic so won't be engaging in risky activity during any outbreak, even asymptomatic viral shedding can't hitch a ride onto semen. It's only spread via skin-to-skin contact.

Now, even when it comes to the risk of HSV-2 oral transmission through oral sex, let me give you some good news: The chances of passing HSV-2 orally are actually quite low. The majority of oral herpes cases (like 98-99%) are caused by HSV-1, not HSV-2. So, when it comes to oral sex, the risk of HSV-2 transmission is much lower than you might think. It's an important fact for you and your girlfriend to be aware of to make an informed decision about the risks/rewards of gettin' down.

In fact, here's a gem of a video that you might applaud like our support group did when Dr. Leone answered the question "And what about oral?" https://youtu.be/QhrH5ifdE08?t=1176

And about getting re-tested with a Western Blot, the IGG type-specific test you had is generally reliable and accurate, but is known to have some false positives and false negatives. But like you said, with such a high number, re-testing may not provide you with significant new information in your case.

Ultimately, the decision to engage in any sexual practices is a personal one, and it's all about open communication and mutual consent. If you and your girlfriend are comfortable with the idea and understand the low risk involved, then go ahead and enjoy the moment, my friend!

I know it can be frustrating to sift through all the contradicting information out there, but rest assured that the specific activity you mentioned is unlikely to transmit HSV-2. Remember, communication and education are key in maintaining a healthy and fulfilling relationship.

If you have any more questions or concerns, we're here to support you and provide the information you need to make informed decisions. You got this!

Stay awesome and keep rocking those conversations with your girlfriend. Cheers!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to I have asymptomatic HSV-2. My girlfriend wants to swallow... is she at risk?