• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes-related neuropathy and sex?

Hello,

i had very bad outbreaks when i stopped valtrex for 2 months and now i have started to taking it again i wish i never stop it or start to taking it earlier . all my body was in pain now i know from the forum that is neuropathy for sure i had  the same symptoms like you,  my question is this i am taking valtrex for 5 day now and i think the virus calm down i have the neuropathy symptoms but not that painful like before valtrex for sure .Can i have sex now when i am in suppressive and i have left with only nerve pain.

Sorry again for my English in my first post here i asked about SOT therapy but i think i wll not take the risk to not take antiviral anymore becouse  this virus is very dangerous and in situations like mine can cause nerve damage .

Hey @Herpes123,

It's good that you're back on Valtrex and feeling some relief from the neuropathy symptoms. It can be tough to manage outbreaks, especially when they come with uncomfortable nerve pain. 

When you're on suppressive therapy like Valtrex, it's meant to reduce viral shedding and the frequency of outbreaks. If your symptoms are subsiding and you're on the antiviral medication, the risk of transmission is lowered (by about 50%). However, it's important to remember that even during daily suppressive therapy, there's still asymptomatic viral shedding happening, just ~50% less.

If you're considering becoming sexually active while on suppressive therapy and with your symptoms calming down, it's a good idea to have an open and honest conversation with your partner. Making sure both of you are comfortable and informed about the situation can help you both make an informed decision together.

And don't worry about your English – your message is perfectly clear. We're all here to support each other, no matter the language.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Do you think my herpes is still active and i can pass it  when i still have nerve pain or this is just left problem from the outbreaks.

Thank you a lot for your answers, i think you are more informed from the most of the doctors about hsv and you help all of us.

• Like 1

You're welcome, and I appreciate your kind words!

Regarding your question, the neuropathy you're experiencing might not necessarily indicate active herpes. Neuropathy can be a lingering effect from previous outbreaks, but herpes-related neuropathy is rare for most people as far as I understand. However, it's always a good idea to stay cautious, especially when it comes to sexual activity. Even if the virus isn't actively shedding (which can for the most part be asymptomatic), there's still a possibility of transmission. For specific transmission rates depending on strain/location, see the free ebook and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Remember, herpes can be quite unpredictable, and symptoms or sensations like neuropathy can vary widely from person to person. It's always a good practice to err on the side of caution when it comes to intimacy. In general, it's always helpful to have an open conversation with your partner about your situation, so you can both make informed decisions about how to keep your partner safe. It's a responsibility that both of you share to be on the same page about.

Keep up the positivity and stay informed – that's half the battle right there!

• Thanks 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes-related neuropathy and sex?