• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Western blot testing?

Hey there was curious who here’s taken the western blot? 

I had taken and HSV-2 test in June and got a 1.21 IGG and then got a negative on the confirmatory at Quest.

Since I’ve gotten two more tests at Anylabtest in August and tested negative both times for HSV-2 now. These two tests were 14 weeks past exposure. Now I’m confused after the first results and want to confirm.

I got the western blot kit through Terri but I’m curious how it works out when you bring the test into the lab to have them draw it don’t want to mess it up. Anyone here take it?

Hi @Tj081999, great that you want to confirm via Western Blot; it's not uncommon for IGG tests to occasionally show false positives or negatives, especially around the borderline range like 1.21. The Western Blot is considered the gold standard for herpes testing, so it should provide you with a clearer picture of your status, especially since you're past the requisite 12-week mark post exposure.

Since you got the kit through Terri, be sure to follow her instructions and you should be good. Usually, the lab should be familiar with the process of drawing the sample for the Western Blot, but it doesn't hurt to give them a call beforehand to ensure everything goes smoothly. Here is a helpful page that goes over all the technical details for the lab that will be doing the blood draw: 
https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/view/HSWB?tabs=no

Let us know how it goes! 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Western blot testing?