• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Rejection after telling someone you have HSV

Hey everyone. I feel so disheartened. I was diagnosed 3-4 years ago. Symptoms came out of nowhere & funnily enough I was single after an 11 year relationship. I’ve dated off & on & I’ve told 3 potential partners about the diagnosis & they have all been completely fine. Yesterday had a date with a guy I’ve been chatting to for a while, amazing 1st date as well. I couldn’t tell him face to face so I messaged him later ( feel like this is better so can be googled or processed etc) & he replied that he wouldn’t be able to get past it. I was devastated! It’s left me feeling like I’ve done something wrong now. Has anyone else had this? It’s shattered my confidence completely xx

Hey @Leeann18,

Sending you the biggest virtual hug right now. 💖 Rejection stings big time, and it's totally normal to feel gutted about it, especially when you had a great first date. We've all been there. I feel you! 

Here's the thing: you haven't done anything wrong. You were honest and brave, which is super important when dating. Not everyone can handle the news, and that's on them, not you. It's their choice, just like it was your choice to be upfront. And hey, about telling him over a message – I get why you did it, but maybe next time, try sharing face-to-face. I know, it feels super vulnerable, but it can actually make the whole herpes chat feel less dramatic. Plus, it opens the door for real, close-up human connection. Think of it more like confidently and authentically sharing a part of your story, not like you're dropping a bomb.

If you need some further support on how to do that, check out the free e-book on disclosure as an Opportunity for connection here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

It's awesome that you've had partners who were cool with it before. That shows there are plenty of understanding folks out there. This guy just wasn't one of them, and it's better to find out now than later, right?

Remember, having herpes doesn't define you or your worth. You're still the same amazing person, and this one experience doesn't change that. Keep your chin up, and don't let this shake your confidence. The right person won't be held back by a skin condition.

You got this, Leeann! Keep being your wonderful self, and the right person will see that.

Keep shining!

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: