• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can the virus spread through semen and/or bodily fluids?

I am a F in a committed relationship with a M with HSV2. He has had it for about 5 years and we met after his diagnosis. To date, I have not gotten the virus and I'm wondering about condom use. My partner's symptoms are very few and far between (last outbreak approx 3 years ago). He takes daily meds for my protection. His outbreaks occur as 1 singular leision that comes around his pubic bone area (ie approx 3cm above the base of his penis). I'm wondering about condom use - given the infection site is not covered by a condom. I have read many conflicting bits of information - some saying HSV2 can be transmitted via semen and some saying it is only transmitted through skin to skin contact. 

Frankly - I'm a little confused. If the skin contact area is not on the penis - is there a point in using condoms? or it transmitted through bodily fluids? Honestly - I'd rather not use condoms anymore but are we putting me at risk if we don't? 

Hey @Gemms28,

I get why you're confused about HSV-2 and transmission. It's a common question! So, here's the deal: HSV-2 mainly spreads through skin-to-skin contact, not bodily fluids like semen. Since your partner's outbreaks are above the area covered by a condom, there's still a risk of transmission during skin contact.

It's great that your partner's taking daily meds to lower the risk, and it's been a while since his last outbreak. This definitely reduces the chances of passing the virus since his body has it more under control. But remember, there's no 100% safe method except for total avoidance of contact, which kind of defeats the purpose of being in a romantic relationship. 😆

If you're both comfortable with it and aware of the risks, not using condoms is a choice you can make together. It's all about weighing the risks and benefits. Just keep the lines of communication open and make sure you're both on the same page. To be clear on the risks, you can download the following free handouts that comes with the ebook show all the possibilities (which in your specific case as a female receiver, him taking daily suppressive antivirals, no condoms, avoiding sex during outbreaks = a 5% transmission risk per year): https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Stay informed, stay safe, and enjoy!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: