• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Looking for any insight on my situation

Thanks in advance for any insight. 37M here. I had protected intercourse (unprotected Oral) about 2 years ago. Long story short, since then I have had some weird nerve symptoms ( and even one VERY suspicious skin legion that I went to the ER for) that made me think I have herpes. However, every test (including aforementioned swab) has been negative. I even got 2 negative Western Blots. However, I know the blood tests have limits, and these feelings persist and have me in a state of extreme anxiety.   

My question: Despite all the negative tests, I feel like HSV could (or should) explain everything. Is there some way I can ask my doctor if I can be given a drug to see if I have an outbreak? Like immunosuppressed or anything like that?

I could go into more detail about my symptoms if necessary, but I feel like someone else has to have had a similar experience to me. 

Also,  years before this I had an ex-girlfriend who had it orally. When we broke up, I’d monitored myself for a few weeks and had no symptoms and was fine. So I know this isn’t just in my head. 

• Like 1

Hey there @NerdP423,

I get how all of that can be super confusing. Sorry you’re going through it! Since the tests, including swabs and Western Blots, have come back negative multiple times, it's unlikely that HSV is causing your symptoms. There aren’t drugs that typically trigger outbreaks; for some people there are triggers like chocolate or nuts or excessive time in the sun, but it’s different for everyone so certainly not something that would be a definite to give you an outbreak if you do carry HSV. It's good to keep communicating with your doctor about your symptoms and concerns. Maybe a neurologist could help if you feel the symptoms are nerve-related? Sometimes, another medical perspective can make a big difference. Good luck in your search!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

21 hours ago, mr_hopp said:

Hey there @NerdP423,

I get how all of that can be super confusing. Sorry you’re going through it! Since the tests, including swabs and Western Blots, have come back negative multiple times, it's unlikely that HSV is causing your symptoms. There aren’t drugs that typically trigger outbreaks; for some people there are triggers like chocolate or nuts or excessive time in the sun, but it’s different for everyone so certainly not something that would be a definite to give you an outbreak if you do carry HSV. It's good to keep communicating with your doctor about your symptoms and concerns. Maybe a neurologist could help if you feel the symptoms are nerve-related? Sometimes, another medical perspective can make a big difference. Good luck in your search!

Thanks man. Though I have my doubts/trepidation based on the timing, as well as the location of most of my neurological symptoms. I've heard that the Blood tests have their limits (and even the swabs, based on how fresh the lesions are and whether or not they have been opened). Regardless I've been in touch with my Dr.'s office to see what can be done to figure out whats causing my symptoms.

• Like 1