• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes encephalitis?

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted in here. Hope you all are doing well. So, I need some information on herpes encephalitis. I know it's rare, but which virus mostly causes it and should I really be as concerned as I am? I read up on it a few minutes ago and started freaking out a little. Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

Ah, the common "Omigosh, I have herpes, that must mean I might die!" reaction. :) And as real as the stigma feels, it's simply not fair to your mind and nervous system to worry about things like this. Be kind to yourself, which includes being vigilant about the brainspace you choose to take up with thoughts of herpes-related things (especially such rare things like herpes encephalitis). It's important to get as knowledgeable as you can about everything herpes-related while also making sure you don't make herpes take over your life. I like to think of it like getting so knowledgeable about herpes so that any unconscious bullshit that might be back there is proven wrong so you don't have to worry about it. We get educated about something so that we can then let it go.

1 in 500,000 people get herpes encephalitis. It's mainly caused by HSV-1 (which 80% of Americans have). 10% of the cases of herpes encephalitis is caused by HSV-2. That equals out to a whopping 0.0002% chance of getting herpes encephalitis. Uh-oh! :)

Just to put it in perspective, being paranoid about herpes encephalitis is like being paranoid every day that you'll get stomach cancer. (And by the way, the chances of getting stomach cancer in your lifetime is 1 in 116, which equals out to be a 0.86% chance.) And you don't go around being paranoid about dying of stomach cancer, do you?

I'm saying all of this in the most supportive, loving way, for your own sanity and health: Drop the paranoia and worry! It's doing you no good! It's draining you of valuable energy that you can use in more productive ways, I promise you! :) Big, big, calming hug!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I'm not worried I'm gonna die from it. I just think that it does cause more than what my doctor lead on. Like I said, I knew it was rare, I just wanted to make sure that what I read was true. After all, it's kind of hard to get research about it, when all you hear is don't believe everything you read on the internet. I don't want to go into my drs office because I am freaking out, because they have so much more to worry about than me being a health freak. I know that every person is different and that my symptoms doesn't always mean your symptoms. I just get a little paranoid sometimes thinking that its gonna cause some nerve damage or its gonna cause something that no one would have expected. :/ I've been fairly good about dealing with it. I've had it 3 years now. However, on occasions, I will come across some information I haven't read or heard before and it intimidates me a tad bit. I'm getting better though. :)

:) Totally get it. I just like to squash self-limiting stuff right at the origin, hence my overly enthusiastic overture! I'm glad you're bringing your questions to the boards! Those are always welcome. Especially when we can bring some much-needed relief to any sort of shame or stigma floating around.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

:) normally, that's what I try to do, but sometimes, I get stopped in my tracks and start thinking negative. That's just me being a woman, haha. I try to come here at least once a week and shed some light on other people or have some light shed on me when I need it. I've met two great ladies from here, so, that always helps. It's always nice to find someone that is nice enough to help you out along the way.