• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Do I need to retest for herpes?

Four years ago I had what appeared to be a herpes outbreak on my genitals. I had a culture done and it came back positive but was never typed. I recently decided to have a blood test done to find out what type I have. The test was done by LabCorp, Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Types 1-/2-Specific Antibodies, IgG. Test code: 164905. My results are as follows:

HSV 1 and HSV 2 – Specific Ab, IgG

HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 1.51 High

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec <0.91

Negative <0.91

Equivocal 0.91 – 1.09

Positive >1.09

Am I to assume my outbreak was caused by HSV 1?

Is there any need for me to retest?

Thank you for your time.

RainbowSky453

First, Welcome! Glad to meet you!

Personally I wouldn't want to make a full call on this BUT I might *guess* that you have HSV2 genitally and HSV1 orally ... you have a very very good chance that you have had HSV1 since childhood even if you have not had any cold sores. 60% + of kids have HSV1 by the time they are young adults. I've had it since I was about 3 ...

I'm puzzled that the culture was not typed because one of the main reasons for a culture IS to type the virus. I would call the actual lab where it was done and see if they still have the results (they should - I think records have to be kept 7 years).

Otherwise your best bet is to get a Western Blot test which is used to help determine results when the regular testing is non-specific or questionable. You may have to call around to find a lab that does that... there's a good chance that you have an STD testing center near you and they should know where you can get it.

Hope that helps.... in the end, the main thing is you know you have Herpes and you just plain need to use all the precautions talked about on here... but if you can get a definite diagnosis it DOES help you to narrow down what you need to protect your partner.

(((HUGS)))