• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What are "pre-herpes-outbreak" symptoms? Please help!

I had my initial herpes outbreak a few weeks ago, which was brutal. Got my diagnosis and medicine, which I only finished less than a week ago. I felt physically normal again, but now I'm having weird feelings "down there," and concerned that I'm already starting OB #2!! Can it happen again that quickly? And what are the symptoms? My doctor said when I "feel it coming," to order more meds, but I'm so new to this that I don't know what "it's coming" feels like. Should I just go ahead and order/take more just in case it is about to happen? I truly do not have time to be bedridden for a week again! And then there's the cost-- my paycheck for the last week will go to medication. SO frustrating and frightening that this is my life now?

Yes, that second OB can come right on the heels of the first. Mine did, and it's a bummer. The symptoms will vary for all of us, but they can include more prodomes, more blisters, and of course the standard aches/pains. Generally speaking, the flu symptoms will be gone so headaches, fatigue, loss of appetite, etc. probably won't be part of the symptom list.

As far as the drugs go, absolutely get more. You should be able to get a prescription discount card from Walmart in which case I think a 30 day supply for Acyclovir is something like $12.

As far as frustrating and frightening, well, we all understand. But, remember that it does get better in time, the pain does diminish, and the disease is quite manageable. Hang in there, the first few months are the worst, but there is a rainbow on the horizon.

Actually you can go online and get prescription discount cards that you can use anywhere and yes, the cost goes down significantly... AND acyclovir is a LOT less expensive than Valtrex but you have to take it twice a day... but you can ask your Dr for a script for that. AND, call around your local pharmacies - there can be a BIG difference in what they charge you.

And finally, really, *try* to not freak out. It will only make matters far worse. Looking back, I had a ton of OB's when I first got it but I thought it was a heat rash and just treated it as a nuisance ... and I am sure that is part of the reason that each OB wasn't as severe as many I hear about.... because I was blissfully ignorant about what it was and I didn't project anything onto it.... stress is the #1 thing Herpes seems to thrive on. So use it as a way to help you learn to deal with the crap that comes into your life without getting into freak-out mode.... honest...it's a GREAT lesson that will come in handy in so many other places in your life :)

(((HUGS)))

Thanks-- I do not have a Walmart anywhere near me, though. Where should I go online to get an Rx discount card? I just bought the meds and it was over $100. I know I shouldn't think about this- but I'm spending all this $ just to NOT get sick, but he's still out there likely infecting other women without a worry? ARG that makes me SO angry!

Holy kazooks! You can go to http://www.drugs.com/ - if I remember correctly (sorry it was a few weeks ago and I can't recall off the top of my head) that is where I printed off the drug discount "card", and it reduced the cost all the way down to about $14 for one month's supply of Acyclovir (generic) 400mg 2x/day (60 pills). I got my prescription filled at Rite Aid, but as the others have said don't be afraid to call around! Also at most pharmacies they have drug discount programs you can sign up for if you want - but with the discount "card" I gave them it took it down even lower than their own program did.

If the discount card at drugs.com doesn't reduce it by a lot then try searching for the name and dosage of your medication at www.goodrx.com - that is where I got the discount card for another medication I take (not related to Herpes). :)