• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Does this sound like genital herpes, HSV-1?

I'm a 17 year old male and I lost my virginity at 14. (Young, I know) The girl that I lost my virginity to was my girlfriend for the last 3 1/2 years, and she is the only girl I've ever had sex with. Likewise with her. We broke up a few months ago and that's the end of that. Now, onto the issue..

About a year after we started having sex, I woke up one morning with a few blisters/sores on my penis, pubic area, and thigh. They itched/burned and went away after a few days. I believe this happened again not too long after but it was much less severe. I haven't experienced this again in almost three years. My girlfriend never had an outbreak like I did in the 3 1/2 years that we were together. Again, we were both virgins when we got together. I can't remember how it came up, but I believe her mother has herpes. I don't know if there is any connection there or not.

Now that we've been broken up for months, I'm looking to get into another serious relationship. I've been worrying about the fact that I had these sores in the past, and I'm hesitant to even meet someone I like because of this.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Experiences, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Jack,

Well, yeah, it does sound like herpes. But, herpes can look like a lot of different things. So, I'd say you need to go get a blood test. It's been long enough that your window period is long expired and your results will be 100% accurate.

That said, I'm willing to bet that your girlfriend probably gave you head at some point along the way. That means that if she had oral HSV1, she could have transferred that down below the belt if you didn't also have HSV1. Could she have gotten HSV1 from her mom as a kid? Yep, that's pretty common from those goodnight kisses or sharing of drinks.

I'd say yours is a pretty straight forward, go see a urologist or stop by your Planned Parenthood Clinic situation.

As far as hesitating or being worried, cross each bridge as you come to them. Take it a day at a time.

Hey Jack ... Welcome. Good for you for wanting to get properly informed for your future partners :)

Herry's right - one more point though... GHSV1 doesn't shed nearly as much as GHSV2 so your risk of transferring is lower AND 80% of people have "coldsores" (or at least, the virus that causes them) and 80% of them don't know they have it... so if your potential partner has cold sores (and you test out + for HSV1) then it wouldn't be an issue anyway because they have immunity to it ... if they haven't had sores/don't remember then a simple blood test would help you clarify that.

And BTW, I got HSV1 oral at 3 and GHSV2 at 17 ... and life has been ok for me :)

Peace

Thanks for the responses! I just need to get over to Planned Parenthood sometime soon without my folks knowing.

I agree with taking it one day at a time. The girl that I'm currently interested in is extremely mature, genuine, and understanding, so that makes me a bit less worried about pursuing her. I just need to know exactly what I have for sure.