• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Help!! Recurring rash is actually herpes outbreaks

Hahaha. Yes, I am going commando whenever I can and that is helping. This ob is mild--just one spot--and has not gotten much larger. I am using the acyclovir ointment (can't tolerate the anti virals) so I am celebrating a bit that it's not a major ob. At least I can sit. :-)

Ok, so here is an update. Today, finally got in to see my ob/gyn. And she did blood work! And she had an intelligent and compassionate discussion with me. She thinks my immune system is not behaving as it should also. So now I am on just one acyclovir (400 mg) a day for as long as I can stand it, for a month. The hope is the lower dose will be enough to suppress an outbreak and not enough to make me sick. I will have results of the blood test in a few days so I'll know which herpes it is, and that is important to me and to my husband. I went into the office upset and came out laughing so bravo for my doctor! The adventure continues…

Finally some answers and a plan of action. I tested positive for antibodies for both HSV 1 and 2. (Lucky me :-) The good news is that I am tolerating the lower dose of Acyclovir very well and my doctor assures me that we will get the outbreaks under control. Her goal is that the condition becomes something I no longer have to think about very often. And this is my goal too. If I can just go longer than a month without an outbreak, that would be a great start. Hoping for the best and grateful for a manageable condition. It could be so much worse. Thanks, all.

BTW, one way to help to knock the OB's down is to hit it hard as soon as you feel the first symptom. I know you have a hard time tollerating Valtrex but it may help to take 2 for a day or so at the first sign of symptoms. And go commando when you can... getting the air to the area helps to dry it out. And Epsom salts baths... dump the salts right between the legs....that also helps it to dry out :)