• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Typical cold sore progression/appearance?

I've read a few articles about the stages of cold sores, but not many of them are very clear about the timing, and it seems like a lot of pictures online are examples of exaggerated cases. In my case, I had 3 small, pimple-like white dots appear close together at the corner of my mouth about 5 days ago. They haven't changed in appearance at all since then. There was no pain or anything beforehand. It's kind of sore to open my mouth and push directly on them now. Is this a normal appearance? Do they usually hang out this long?

@throwaway

Hello and Welcome?

So are you asking for a diagnosis or just about what to expect?

If you have not been diagnosed then it's not a bad idea to get blood tested to be sure if you have it or not... because if you do, then you need to get educated about asymptomatic shedding and oral sex risks/safety.

Regarding the symptoms you mention - yeah - that *could* be Herpes, or it could be pimples. I've had both on the edge of my lip over the years...used to get blackheads as well. Each had very different symptoms for me that I have learned to recognize over the years...H definitely causes tingling....pimples don't.

Yes - they can last 5 days or so... depending on the strength of your immune system, I'd say 5 days to a week till they start to crust over without antivirals and external treatment.

I apologize for not being clear.. I have not been diagnosed, nor have I ever had a cold sore before, as far as I'm aware. A lot of the pictures on the internet look stylized and/or like worst-case scenarios. I just wanted to know what an average/regular cold sore looked like. I've just started dating(kissing) someone new, and I'm just trying to be prudent. I actually just had an IgG test done about two weeks ago (before meeting her) which came back negative. I'm also not sure whether she's ever had a cold sore before.

So odds are it's a bunch of pimples then if you just had a negative result. If one becomes big enough to blister, then get it swabbed. If you continue to get them, you will need to be tested again in about 4-5 months when the antibodies will have become strong enough to show up in the test.

There isn't any "typical" way that Herpes shows up. That's the problem with it.... that's why so many have it and don't know it. Given that yours are white, with no tingling or pain, I'd vote on it being pimples.

FYI - 60% of young people have the HSV1 (cold sore) virus by the time they are young adults (I got it around age 3) as children spread it from one to another. 80% of people have it by the time they are 50. So right now you seem to be beating the odds... ;)

Peace

Thanks for your replies. When you say "becomes big enough to blister," do they normally grow? I suppose now we play the waiting game!

Since HSV1 is so ubiquitous, I'm not sure that I don't have it, so I just wanted to make sure not to break the "no kissing while you've got a cold sore" rule.