• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Possible second herpes outbreak? Ulcers only on tonsils, but not vaginally

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago and my doctor prescribed Famciclovir, one ever 8 hours for about a week. Cleared it right up. My doctor didn't say if it's HSV 1 or 2 but my first outbreak presented with ulcers 'down there' and all over my tonsils. I've been trying to be conscious of possible prodrome symptoms in order to catch a possible second outbreak early.

On Sunday I started noticing some vaginal itching and have been taking salt baths and checking frequently for sores but nothing has appeared. As I was driving home tonight I noticed my throat hurt when swallowing... Sure enough, when I got home and looked, it appears that my tonsils are inflamed and again have ulcers (not strep; it's not whit spots, it's sores that are the same as the ones during the first outbreak). However, still no vaginal sores. Is it possible that this is the second outbreak but limited to my tonsils this time? Is that even possible? Or, if ulcers are showing up on my tonsils, is that a sign that vaginal sores will appear again soon too?

On Saturday I was intimate with the guy I've been seeing, also the one I got this from although he still does not understand that he's H positive because he is asymptomatic. We did use a condom. There was also oral sex. I'm wondering if the outbreak being limited to my tonsils is because the oral part was obviously "skin on skin" while the rest involved a condom so there was a barrier....Could that be a possibility?

I had refilled the Famciclovir yesterday just in case but haven't started it yet because i haven't seen any vaginal sores and I only want to take it if necessary. Should I start the anitivirals? Should I be expecting that if the first outbreak was on my tonsils and vagina that recurrences will be the same... Meaning this is outbreak 2, vaginal sores will appear and taking the anitivirals will nip this in the bud before it gets too bad. Last time, before I was diagnosed, I tried every gargle Suggested for throat infections and nothing helped... My tonsils just kept getting more swollen and the ulcers continued to worsen... The Famciclovir was the only thing that finally made it heal. My throat hurt terribly and I had all the flu symptoms and just felt awful... Does that all occur with recurrences or only during the first outbreak?

Any insight appreciated!

@Hermia87

My personal feeling is you should get the tonsils swabbed to see if it's Herpes or something else. It's VERY rare for H to show up there so I'm wondering if you are just run down and something else is taking advantage of it...having the H OB downstairs may be enough to weaken your system and let other things in. If it IS H I'd want to know which strain I have...some Dr's don't think it's important but really, it's good to know ... if you only have H1, so does 80% of the population so you don't have to take anti-virals if a future partner has had cold sores. If you have both, then at least you know what the risks are and you can educate your partner accordingly. You may have to stand up to the Dr to get him to swab it ... but I wouldn't leave without some kind of assurance that they will let you know what you are dealing with....

Don't take the Famciclovir till you get the swab so that you will hopefully get a clear catch of whatever it is. If you want to take one right after, it won't hurt anything... the anti-virals are one of the safest drugs out there because they only activate in the presence of the virus.

(((HUGS)))

They did swab my throat the first time. The sores on my tonsils were different than anything I've had before. Strep test came back negative and the H culture taken from down there came back positive. Since I had ulcer type sores in both places that looked similar and appeared at the same time and oral sex had been part of it the doctor said it was H. Just seems strange that this time I'm seeing the same sores on my tonsils but nowhere else. I will ask about the strain. It makes sense to know. I didn't realize the risk factors are different.

Ah - ok - wow - sorry you have that to deal with. From what I gather, the few who get the throat OB's find they settle down after awhile....

So yes, take the anti-virals. I would also look into liquid Lysine ... my instincts say that if you get it right on the OB (I'd make a drink and sip on it frequently) it *may* help to knock it down quantumhealth has lysine extract.... it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it....

As for why it's in one place and not another ... H doesn't always break out in the same places at the same time. So that's "normal" for you to have a different OB experience this time around.

((HUGS))

@Dancer2010

Thank you for the clarification. It's good to know that it's possible to have a recurrence in one place but not the other. I didn't realize the throat issue was rare...bummer. I've never had cold sores and even when I was diagnosed and with this outbreak it's still limited to just my tonsils... No where else in my mouth which makes absolutely no sense to me. I tried to look up some stuff on here about it but didn't come across anything. Do you know of anyone or are you aware of a resource with more info on outbreaks effecting the throat? I've looked online.., all I'm finding is that one of the causes for sores on tonsils is HSV.... Clearly, I already know that... I'm trying to understand what's going on with my body and how this virus works. Trying not to get overly frustrated and discouraged. I guess the fact that only a few people deal with throat issues would explain why I can't find anything on it. But again, another good thing to know.

That also makes me wonder if, since this has decided to take over my tonsils,if oral sex is out of the question now? Or if the recurrence was maybe only triggered because the guy I was with is H positive... Almost like being re-infected?

You can't get "reinfected" or get "more" Herpes once you have it...

As for oral sex, it will be no different than if you have HSV1 on your lip - no oral sex during outbreaks or any time you feel you *might* have an Ob coming on... use anti-virals if you are having a hard time controlling it or if your partner is really concerned to not get it.

Sadly there's not a lot of info out there on H on the throat.... my only possible resouce would be Terri Warren at Westover Heights... she's a well known expert on H and I totally respect her advice. You can google them and I think you can contact her privately.

Yeah - I remember one other here but we didn't seem to get much further with her sadly.

Forums like this often get those with the "worst" symptoms (physical or mental) so perhaps you can connect with those who have the OB's in the throat and share info. If you learn anything of substance I'd love to add it to my knowledge bank over here...

Good luck