• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is it normal to still be itching after a herpes outbreak?

Hello, all! c:

I'm just going to say this first to avoid confusion. In the UK, Aciclovir and other anti-virals are only prescribed when an outbreak is present, sadly. I've asked if I could have it daily, and my doctor said it's only prescribed that way when excessive outbreaks happen or if the person has a problem with their immune system.

I finished my five day prescription of Aciclovir on Sunday, after finding my second outbreak. But the last few days, I've been rather itchy down there. I've checked, and the only thing that seemed to have been different is that my clit was a lot redder than usual. I put it down to being rubbing from the pads, as I was also on my period.

But I finished on Tuesday and it's still really itchy. It's not red anymore, and I can't see anymore sores. There's a little more discharge than normal, but my cycle is short, so it might be because of ovulation.

Can someone help? D:

Ah, yes. The good ole' NHS. It would have been nice if Americans would have paid attention to that prior to enacting Obamacare. I fear this is going to happen here sometime in the not too distant future.

Itchiness is common both before and after an OB. It sucks. Aloe vera cream, diaper rash cream, and even Lemon Balm are fabulous for treating it and making it settle down.

As far as the ovulation, sore clitoris? Never experienced those so I can't say.

The NHS sucks, sometimes, it really does. I'd rather pay £8 every month to lower risk the chance of an outbreak and passing it on to my partner, than give it to him and have an outbreak every 4 months or whatever.

Ahh, okay. Thank you so much for you answer. How long does the itching last? It's starting to do my head in!

Oh also, is it still more contagious in this time? I know not to have sex during an outbreak, but for how long after would you say to avoid sexual contact?

My partner can't use condoms, so we've never used them, yet somehow he hasn't contracted it yet and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible c:

I've lived in the UK and I feel your pain. As Herry said, for those who are crying out for a Single Payer Health Care system, remember this quote

" In the UK, Aciclovir and other anti-virals are only prescribed when an outbreak is present, sadly. I've asked if I could have it daily, and my doctor said it's only prescribed that way when excessive outbreaks happen or if the person has a problem with their immune system."

This is typical of any kind of Nationalized service - you get told what you can get and when you can get it (and yes, insurance does that too but you can usually get a Dr who will code things to get what you need if it's really necessary over here) ... and you DO pay for it dearly in your taxes.

@kiritoxasuna

Yes - you may well be shedding. I'd start getting some stats and info about asymptomatic shedding and get to your Dr and INSIST that he get you on suppressive therapy. Tell him that if your hubby gets it you will be seeing him in court because there's plenty of evidence that your symptoms are prodromes and that you very likely are shedding much of the time right now ... never mind that you'd like to resume your sex life ... the one thing I found when I lived there is that sometimes you have to threaten to do a sit-in to get what you want/need.

And what is the reason that your partner can't use condoms? If it causes him to lose his erection (VERY common, esp if they are over 40ish) then try the FC2 Female condom ... non latex and evidently neither person loses sensation ... AND it covers more of your lady parts which will protect him more ... it might be an option for those times when you just got over an OB and you are not quite sure if you are totally safe yet ;)

(((HUGS)))