• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

confused parent - can I pass genital HSV1 herpes to my child from kissing?

I was just diagnosed with genital herpes 3 days ago, I got it from someone who has oral herpes. Unlike most I only had one sore and there was never any pain, itching, tingling, flu symptoms, anything that I heard comes along with the herpes virus.anyways long story short my blood work came back positive for genital herpes.Im writing today to get some insight on this virus have to live with for the rest of my life, im so afraid im going to pass it to my 2 yr old.some people say I wont and others tell me I will, im so confused and highly scared for her...she tried to kiss me and I pushed her away and that just about kilt me. Please hell me

@Lady_j988

Hello and Welcome!

First - if you have GENITAL herpes then that is where the virus resides ... so you can kiss your child all you want. ;)

I have had both GHSV2 and Oral HSV1 for over 35 yrs ... I have 2 beautiful H- daughters who (because there wasn't any internet to scare me) I never worried about kissing, bathing with, or touching ... I would just avoid a kiss if I had a cold sore or give a peck off the opposite side of my mouth.

Also, 60% of all young people get oral HSV1 by the time they are young adults (usually from each other or a doting adult who doesn't know they have HSV1) so don't over-stress it *if* she ever gets a cold sore ... there will be a very high chance she got it elsewhere (*if* you also have H1 orally) ;)

This conversation covered a lot of the concerns around family members:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2194/extreme-fear-and-remorse-family

as well as this Blog I wrote awhile back

http://supporttruthanddialog.com/toilets-towels-and-touching-oh-my/

(((HUGS)))

On another note, I went to 2 doctors about the one bumb i had on my outer vagina lips, both doctors told me it didnt look like herpes, so my boyfriend goes down on me and literally two days later his throat is hurting and next day I find out I have genital herpes,his throat still hurts, he can barely eat and continues taking medicine for it.what are the chances he has it now and what are the chances it will show up in his blood work.

You said earlier you have HSV1 genital, right?

Sounds like your BF got Oral HSV1 from you ... does he have sores on the back of his throat? If so I would get them swabbed. If he comes back H+ I'd take the results to the Dr's that brushed you off and ask them if they are willing to pay for any treatment and meds he may want in the future.... ugh ... I wanna slap a bunch of Doctors some days :/

It won't show up in blood work until he's had it at least 4 months - some take 6 months or more to build up the antibodies though ....

I have no idea what I have if it's hsv 1 genital or hsv 2 genital herpes,thats why im going to the doctoes office tomorrow, I have alot of questions. Like if it takes that long for the virus to show up in your system and ive been with the same man since 2012, is it possible I got this over 3 yrs ago. Even without having your first outbreak, can the virus still shed and be contagious. The doctor told me its very rare that the virus has been dormant that long and it most likely was contracted in the past couple of weeks to a month....and no he doesnt have any open sores as far as we can see.

Well you said you got it from someone with Oral Herpes so odds are its H1. ;)

And yes you could have had it since pre-2012 - I have a client who had her first OB after 30+ yrs of marriage.

The doctor told me its very rare that the virus has been dormant that long

80% of the population doesn't know they have Herpes ... so it's not at all rare for the virus to be asymptomatic ...