• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Jumping on the band wagon.. Help and advice needed

I know so many people on here are on the same boat, and I'm so sorry for repeating.

About 4 weeks ago, I was horribly ill during my university exams, and had just got back together with my boyfriend of 3 years after a break. Although, what he failed to mention was that in between he'd contracted Herpes. Before I slept with him, I asked whether he had been checked out by a clinic. To which, he said yes. I didn't ask him if he'd had symptoms- I just assumed he'd been safe. Although, he had gone to the clinic for symptoms, and his tests had come back negative for everything. So sadly, with his undiagnosed symptoms, and my naivety, I have now been diagnosed with HSV-2.

At the start, I had no one to turn to, who can you speak to about this, that wont treat you like you've been stupid and sleeping around- which I haven't.

I'm 20 years old, and I feel like thats the end of my relationships as I know it.

The guy in question decided he hadn't finished his dating and single life, and luckily for him the symptoms are mild, and he seems not to be in danger of this ruining his game. Joys. So he is no longer in contact. I don't mean to seem petty and spiky. But I can't help but feel so alone.

I have been on antivirals twice in four weeks. I then am clear for a week maximum and I get a repeat outbreak. This is my 3rd time in 4 weeks. Im pretty heartbroken as I thought I would have at least has time to breathe and sort myself out in between them. I haven't even had time to think about it.

My symptoms are now limited to one sore, which isn't painful or itchy. Just a bit red and a very small blister. But still, I'm so worried and paranoid about everything, whilst trying to get on with my UNI studies. Ive had a cold continuously for about 4 weeks too, could this be related?

Should I try to see if I can get over this without the help of antivirals?

Will this get any better on its own?

Please help.

Hi, I too have a very similar story to yours with me and my boyfriend breaking up and getting back together... then BAM I was diagnosed with herpes! I tend to keep my eating and life styles pretty healthy in terms of going to gym and eating healthy choices. I have read that this can help to keep outbreaks from occuring. I have had herpes for about a year and a half now and only had 3 outbreaks over the year and half. The first definately being the worst!

I too feel down and sad about it sometimes but this website is a great outlet to express your feelings and emotions...

Your relationship life is not over! I too think that at times, I am a 27 year old registered nurse, single and pretty happy in my life!

I hope these little words of encouragement go a long way because don't forget your beautiful with or without a skin condition such as herpes!

Stigma has made us feel like we don't belong, lets not let it win!

xo

@Joey1701

Hello and Welcome!

You don't know how many times we hear this story... and it sounds like your Ex isn't disclosing at all which is a shame as it's that kind of behavior that feeds the Stigma :(

As for the antivirals ... if you are in exams and you need to concentrate, this isn't the time to be a hero if the anti-virals are helping you. Get through them and then if you want to experiment with your body and how it will cope, that is the time to see if your body can cope on its own.

Some people need the anti-virals more than others... some barely get any help from them. So you just need to figure out how they fit in with you. Like much of Herpes, each person is so individual in exactly how they experience it, you mostly just have to tune in with your body and see what it "tells" you works for YOU ;)

((HUGS)))

Thank you so much for advice.

Its so odd, because I don't know what its meant to be like after your first outbreak. Ive been ill for about 5 weeks now, ever since by first OB, and i don't know whether to go back to the GP and see whether this is normal, or not.

My OB usually only last a day or two, MAX 3, then go for a few days, then return.

Again, I'm just not sure.

xx