• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Blood test

I'm going to get a blood test to see which simplex I have. I'm terrified of needles and have only had blood work done once (and they took 14 vials so I'm quite traumatized lol). Is it just one vial of blood? Approximately how long does it take for the results to come in? What do the number ranges mean (i.e. new infection vs. older infection), if that's even included in my results since we already know I'm positive?

I may be getting a small blister, so I could just have that swabbed if it develops before tomorrow and avoid the needle, right? Which would you recommend? When I had the first blister swabbed, it hurt like hell and got much, much worse - I'm assuming from the trauma and not the OB itself. I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils lol.

For me, it was 1 blood vial for a full std screen, as well as a urine sample. If needles bother you, you could ask the nurse to numb the site with topical anesthetic before they poke you, it will hurt a lot less (it's just a liquid solution they rub on your skin). I got the results in 2 days. Some veterans here could tell you more, but if you do the test make sure you get the igg test for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

If you go the western blot route - I don't know anything about that.

Get the blood test - it will tell you if you have Type 1 or 2 ... or both ( you may well have H1 orally and not know it). Tell them you have a fear of needles and hopefully you they will use a butterfly needle (very thin ... you hardly feel it).

1 vial - a few days to a week depending on where they have to send it to. You can't tell how "old" the infection is by the numbers. They will tell you anything over 1.1 is "positive" ... and I know you have the OB's so this won't matter for you, but really we question any number under 3.5 ... so if your number is under that, it *could* point to a newer infection.

Either way, the point is to know what you have, and the blood test is the way to go here...

I didn't get to go because my job mandated me. I have to wait another 3 weeks since my doctor is only at the location closest to me two days/week ugh. I went to urgent care for the retest but decided to just have the blood work done with my regular doctor. Anyway, thanks everyone! I feel much better about it!

@WCSDancer2010

Ohhh, I was confused because when my mom found out she had it, my step dad's doctor was saying he may not have it since his numbers were on the low side. But my mom's doctor was saying any number over 1.1 means you have it. Not that it really matters for me; it would just be nice if it were older and I potentially had more antibodies built up compared to if it's newer.