• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex vs Valacyclovir?

Hello squad.

I'm going to the OB gyn tomorrow, and after having about 5 confirmed breakthrough outbreaks, despite being on 500mg 2x/day (and 5-6 other cut-like-could-be-outbreaks-but-never-know), I'm going to investigate why this might not be working.

I do NOT want her to tell me to just go off of it. I'm still in a new relationship, and that would basically be like me telling him that I don't want to protect him.

So, should I ask to try regular Valtrex? I have great insurance, I've met my deductible for the year and honestly cost is not a concern for me at this point if we're talking a few hundred dollars...

Any experience between generic and brand? I've seen a few places online that actually have spoken about how Valacyclovir didn't work for them...

I have issues w constant break through as well andbit doesn't matter if I take 2 gtams a day vs 500, it's the same for me, so u just stick to 500. No reason to overload my liver w more meds, if it doesn't make a difference. It's worth a shot. Some have seen a difference vs generic and name brand. .

Do you have any other health issues going on? Symptoms that you're not sure what they are maybe? What's your age?

@2legit2quit I don't have any other health issues going on...that I know of.

I have reynauld's disease, which means I have poor circulation (but for me it's usually just cold fingers every now and then, really nothing terrible). I had my 3 month STD test (conclusively negative for all), and I had constant summer tonsillitis that resulted in a tonsillectomy September 24. I've been off antibiotics since October 2, but before that I was on them almost constantly for 90 days. Couldn't go off them without it coming back.

With the tonsillitis / antibiotics combinations, I also had several yeast infections, and several issues with IBS. I also had an abnormal pap 3 weeks ago but the biopsy was normal (phew). Since my last course of antibiotics, I haven't experienced another yeast infection or bout of IBS.

So, my immune system has taken a beating, but I really honestly think it's from the antibiotics and my body trying to fight both tonsillitis and H. Now, though...my body only has the H, and it's not fighting it as well as I would hope, considering I have no other outward symptoms, that I can tell, taking my immune system's attention...

I'm not jumping to any conclusions, and trying to not let Dr Google do the work of real doctors, though! I just really wanted to see if anyone has had more or less success with "real" Valtrex in case she offers that as a suggestion.

I do know that she (and my urgent care doctor) were puzzled that I had breakthrough OBs even on suppression. BUT, based on what I've seen on this forum, that's quite "normal" for the first 6 months, right? I have a tendency to shush up when a doctor says something, and I don't press for more information.

Whatever she prescribes, I'll probably think about a second opinion. Will report back shortly!!

You need to go see a rheumatologist or endocrinologist. That disease based on whether it is secondary or primary, will mean you have an autoimmune disease that's likely undiagnosed. See below:

When the disorder's cause is idiopathic it is referred to as Raynaud's disease (also called Primary Raynaud's), [1] If the syndrome is secondary to another disease such as systemic sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, or other connective tissue disorders, it is correctly referred to as Raynaud's Phenomenon (Secondary Raynaud's). If Raynaud's Phenomenon is suspected to be secondary to systemic sclerosis, one tool which may help aid in the prediction of systemic sclerosis is thermography. [2]

IBS is autoimmune BTW.. So now I'm not surprised in the least you are having atypical symptoms.

Actually it's not normal. It is only a handful of us that have ongoing issues on here and some have autoimmune diseases already diagnosed such as myself and some suspect it. Even those on here w stuff like psoriasis or eczema are having issues as well. So is a guy I dated who had psoriasis. He has constant symptoms. You'd be surprised.urgent care means GP and they're not that well informed on stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, unfortunately... I have constant very mild obs. Right now some redness and bumps in my groin crease and a couple red bumps on my buttock. I am going to request from my endocrinologist to get in low dose LDN. It helps those suffering w symptoms from autoimmune diseases, modulates and boosts your immune syste. And has been found to help those who have trouble controlling herpes.