• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 IgG blood levels and anti-virals

I tested positive for HSV2 (genital) with a PCR swab in April 2012 when I developed symptoms 4 days after I had sex with a new guy. I had the blood test for HSV1 and HSV2 at that time. Both were negative, presumably since there wasn't enough time to build up IgG antibodies to HSV2.

I had another blood test in March 2014 because I was dating someone new and wanted to have a thorough STD screen to show him the paperwork. The HSV1 level was negative. The HSV2 IgG says 1.4 AI. The lab reports says 0.0-0.8 AI Negative, 0.9- 1.0 AI Equivocal, and over 1.1 AI Positive. Since I've had HSV2 for almost 2 years at the time of the test, shouldn't the antibody level be higher? I take Acyclovir everyday. I've tried to go off anti-virals but I get prodromal symptoms (tingling).

Does the anti-viral have an effect on the IgG level, decreasing it? Also does a lower IgG anti-body level mean that I'm less likely to transmit the virus to a H-negative person than if I have a higher level? What is the range of low to high IgG values?

Your low results, were likely due to taking daily suppressive meds. Antibody counts fluctuate as well, such as it going up of you were active during the time of testing. Antibody count have nothing to do w how infectious you are or aren't.. It just means you were on meds and likely the virus was dormant during the testing.