• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can someone please elaborate on the topic of viral shedding? I know that when we are having an outbreak that we are definitely shedding, but I also read that we shed in the entire genital tract, is this true? If so, does this mean even without outbreaks or symptoms and including wearing a condom which covers the place where my outbreak is, I can still transmit the virus asymptomatically? If this is the case, I guess I should keep my underwear on during protective sex, right?

Yes - you *can* shed anywhere in the boxer shorts region.... the further from the OB, the lower the risk but it's there. As for keeping underwear on, well, some do. Don't shave right before sex as that causes micro-nicks that can cause OB's. Same for your partner ... if they shave the day before it reduces their risk as any micro-nicks should have healed.

Also if you take the anti-virals, that cuts your risk down further - with meds and condoms (esp if your OB area is covered) your risk would be down to 2% M-F... your risk of having a bad car accident is about the same, so try to see it that way.... yes, there's a risk, but a life well lived assumes risks.... and we have to balance being sensible and cautious with not over-doing it to a point where it sucks the joy out of living :)