• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Long term affects of Valtrex?

Hey there. I have been taking Valtrex for over a year now because I was getting frequent outbreaks. They have started to subside, however the guy I have been seeing does not have the virus and I would like to keep it that way. My doctor says that Valtrex is perfectly safe for long term use. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on this. The only thing I can find is it may be bad for your kidneys. I would like to keep taking it to prevent him from getting the virus.

There was a man from Australia who used to post here who had been taking an antiviral suppresivly for over 12 years straight. He reported no adverse effects. Unfortunately I cant recall his screen name at the moment. If I have the time later I will try to track him down and link up a thread he discusses it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, still going on 400mg of acyclovir daily about 14 years now. And I have only had a couple of OBs that been about 4 years ago, however devastatingly I was informed last week that my now ex partner has been diagnosed with "H" although she is seeing someone else I can only assume it was me but she never displayed symptoms while we were together. So I guess as much as you can do your best to prevent passing it on there is still a chance and something that needs to be talked about. As much as I was open and honest about the condition at the beginning I feel I put a lot of faith in the fact that suppressive therapy would prevent passing it, this obviously was a bit of naivety on my part.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees just honesty and understanding, suppressive therapy for me is still the best option and long term I have not suffered from any known side effects it is just a personal choice. I hope this helps.

@ihaveittoo thanks for the mention.