• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

New to this...have a few questions

I am experiencing my first out break and it is beyond painful. I had unprotected sex last Saturday and the following days I felt a burning sensation when I pee. On Wednesday I saw sores and Thursday I spent all day in denial thinking how could I have been infected that quickly. I went to get tested Friday, my blood results came back negative, but I read online if you are recently exposed it takes longer to detect in your blood. The doctor took a culture too and am waiting on those results, but she said by looking at the sore I do have genital herpes. I am so happy I found this site it has helped me so much with coping when I do find out my results.

1. Is it likely that I got it from the last partner I was just with?

2. Will I be able to give and or receive oral sex?

3. I already have a weak immune system and have been battle HPV as well for 2 years, will I likely have more outbreaks?

I drink a gallon of water, exercise, and for most part try and remember my vitamins but I am always battling a cold.

4. The doctor gave me valacyclovir for 7 days, should I take this daily to keep from spreading it? I do not have a partner or anything but to be safe, and of course use condoms.

Thank you! Again this site has been more than helpful!! I have been pretty down since I saw the sores and how to cope with it.

Welcome to the forum!

#1, It sounds as if the timing could be right. Have you had any other partners recently? Have you asked the last one to get a blood test?

#2. Yes, you can give and receive oral, but the details depend on which type you have.

#3. Everyone reacts differently. I used to be a person that caught everything, and yet I think I've had very easy/manageable/barely there outbreaks. The first outbreak/first year is usually the hardest.

Could this continuous cold be allergies?

#4. The medicine is up to you. Some people decide to take it because it does lower the risk of transmitting. If you are sexually active, it might be best to take it on a daily basis. If sex is a once in awhile thing, you could opt to take it occasionally. It really depends on your sex life, your partners, and your outbreaks.

Thank you so much for your reply !

1. Before him I had sex a little over a month ago and we been seeing each other for about a year and I was tested back in April while with him. Then went on vacation had unprotected sex with someone I met then the symptoms hit me.

2. When I went to the doctor I believe she only tested me for HSV2 and they did come back negative. Should I be retested for HSV 1? I thought 1 was oral and 2 where genital ?

3. I just went to the doctors because I've had this cold for 3 weeks and he gave me a list of allergy medicines to take so far they seem to be clearing up so it may be I've developed allergies.

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint who gave it to you because people aren't usually tested for HSV in general STD testing. Some people carry it for years and then one day have an outbreak.

Yes, get tested for both. Although HSV1 prefers the mouth and HSV2 prefers the genitals, they can go to the other area. More and more cases of genital herpes are HSV1 due to oral sex and coldsores.

It did sounds like allergies to me :). Cold usually don't linger that long and if they do, they turn into something worse.

Tested specifically for HSV? I'm asking that because most people assume they are tested for everything when sometimes they are not. He may not be your giver, I was assuming that he was because you said you were negative on your testing. Now that we know you were not tested for HSV1, that could be the culprit. Once you get the results from that test, it will give us an idea if this is a recent infection or an older one. (If it is even positive).

Usually, if you get an HSV1 genital infection, it is spread from someone that has coldsores giving you oral sex. Not the way you described. It's transmitted skin to skin and from friction. It doesn't just hang out in your fluids like some infections do. (Although fluids from sores can carry the virus. Hope that makes sense).