• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Being a germophobe

Just found out I have hsv1 and 2.....I have not had an outbreak yet.

My question is about washing in the shower......do I need to get seperate washcloths to clean the genital area, I read that it can spread to other parts of your body. What if my daughter accidentally uses one of my washcloths? Is she in danger?

I have been doing so much research that I feel overwhelmed and honestly finding it hard to determine what is fact or fiction.

Since you do not have an active outbreak, I would not worry about any of the above.

Some people do use different washcloths and towels in that area when they are having an outbreak. Not because it's what you have to do, just because for them- it gives them a peace of mind. I've always saved that area for last just because for me, that just makes more sense. (I did this pre H because honestly, I don't want to wash/dry my face with something that just washed/dried my ass).

The virus does not live on surfaces for long. 10 seconds. It is not transferred on objects. (Toilet seats, towels, etc). And to transfer it to other people in the way you are describing, you would need the fluid from lesions. Remember, you've had this and didn't know, and your daughter has been find up to this point. She will continue to be fine now.